Acrylic Tank Drilling

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by philip_r5, Mar 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

I have an Acrylic Tank and want to drill a hole in it for an external sump pump. I will most likely be going with a Mag Drive 24. I was wondering what size hole I have to cut, and what size bulk head will be needed after. I want to push about 1200gph in my tank. Also what kind of pvc should be used? Thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

heavy duty and standard size bulkheads are different sizes, google the dimensions. a starter hole needs to be made and move up in size to the hole drill size. i have a combo hole cutting tool with a 1/4 drill. if you rush the acrylic will crack. pull up on the drill when drilling or use a press. at 1200 gph the drain would be nice with 1 1/2. hard pvc or flex pvc is fine.

5. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Thanks. My tank is 115gallon with one overflow section and return. The bulkhead for the return to the sump is only about 1inch will tihs be good enoguh to put about 1200gph thru or will another overflow be needed?

Note: I will most likly be using a mag drive 24 on this. 2400gph, my head will be about 4 to 4 1/2 feet. With the rating of the pump that leaves about 1850gph. Then with the bends and turns prob around 1300gph or so. I will def have a ball valve on it. Let me know. Thanks

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

your gonna need at least two drains, either two 1 1/2" or 3 1". if you have already have a hole you wont be able to make if bigger without a drill press, so dont even try. if you dont have an internal overflow box either make one or drill from the back. imop, external pumps only. power heads are a pain in the arse.
    heres some sites to help:
    reefs.org - where reef keeping begins on the Internet
    Resistance and Equivalent Length of Fittings
    Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Pump Head Loss Calculator - Easing System Design

7. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

The head loss calculator reef guru gave you the link to is awesome. Play around with the numbers and see what you get. It does have the Mag24 listed so it should be easy for you to figure out. Also, IMO, it would be best if you bought the bulkheads first and used them to make a patter no the tank before you drill. That way you know exactly how big to drill the hold. If you screw it up it's gonna be very hard to fix. By the way, I've got the Mag9.5 on my 110 and I get plenty of flow, about 700gph.