75 Gallon or 110 Gallon?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Mad Dog, Dec 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

Just wanted to get some various opinions on whether you would choose a 75 gallon tank setup, or a 110 gallon setup? I've had everything from 20 to 150 gallon setups in the past, though none have been with 75 or 110.;)

Lighting needs to be more intense because of the the depth of the tank on the 110, but the 75 would be easier to work on. Any and all opinions and experiences are welcome. Price may be similar for the setups, but some things may or may not be included in the packages(i.e. protein skimmer, reef lighting, etc.) Going to make some calls now, and post back, but please post away on your personal experiences with these setups, good, bad, or indifferent.;D

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

The bigger the better, IMO. Of course, as long as you have the room.

4. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

110 because even that will get small as time goes on. IMO

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

what kind of fish would you want to keep?

what is the largest saltwater tank you have kept before?

People say bigger is better(which is true) but you must consider how much you can devout to the tank. Space, Money, Time. Usually as the first 2 increase the third can decrease.

6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

I've had everything from 20 to 150 gallon setups in the past, though none have been with 75 or 110.;D

Looking to go reef with this, fish to begin with, then add soft corals along the way. Got some info on the 75 gallon setup:

75 gallon all glass aquarium, drilled with an internal overflow

20 gallon sump underneath with an unknown brand of protein skimmer, hoses, return pump, etc.(would need to be baffled for the refugium I plan on by the sounds of it)

Lighting system is custom made 4 x 48", although he wasn't sure what was in there right now.

Has 40-50 lbs of what was once live rock, but is now stored and dormant.

Seems he bought this for his fiance who was into saltwater, moved up here to Alaska, and now things have gone in a different direction, so he's looking to just get rid of it. Might be able to pick it up for $400-$500 depending how bad he wants it gone.;D

7. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Where in AK? I lived in JNU for 4 years. I would say min 6 bulb t5 on a 75g. That's decent deal for up there.

8. Click Here!

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

MatSu Valley. Snowing and 0* right now.;D

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

a 75 is a great tank with good size and stability without having to spend too much upfront to get it going well. I personally would go with that 75 if you can get it as a whole package. I think the second you go over 100 gallons you start to shell out some serious cash for parts and such.

11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

Just got off the phone with the guy on the 110 gallon setup.

110 gallon tank, not drilled, with an external overflow.

wet/dry setup with bioballs, return pump, hoses, etc.(definitely have some modification to do for the refugium)

no protein skimmer(unless you fancy the skilter 400;D) Also, has a couple bio wheels which wouldn't be of help, along with 4 Penguin power heads.

Lighting is an unknown named 6 x 54 watt T5 HO setup.

Guy wants $500 firm, although it sounds like he may budge a little.

Thoughts?8)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

So they were all saltwater tanks then(you didn't specify).

If you have had reef tanks before, I would think you would be better qualified to make financial and space decisions then us. Are you just looking for input on the tank dimensions or the equipment needed also?