20 gal vs. 30 gal in-wall tank ... need help quick...thanks.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CyberGuy, Jun 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Hello folks,

I am new here and I hope you can help me out with this dilema that I am having.
    I am planning to install an in-wall reef tank but I don't know which size I should get. It will be installed in an orthodontist office.
    I don't know whether I should get the standard 20 gallon tank (24 inch length, 16.75 inch tall, 12.5 inch deep) vs. the 30 gallon tank (24 inch length, 22.75 inch tall, 12.5 inch deep). As you can see, the 30 gallon tank is much taller.

Which one should I get? The questions are the following.

1. Since it is an in-wall tank, it will be hard to service since I cannot clean the tank from the front. Therefore, it will be harder for me to clean a taller tank. But should this prevent me from getting a taller tank?

2. Should I be concern about how I stack the rocks in a taller tank since it is more prone to rocks falling and hitting the glass? It is an orthodontist office so there will be children there but I hope they don't pound on the tank.

3. The pressure of the taller tank is greater. I will be using the hang-over protein skimmer (Remora protein skimmer) and the hang-over aqua-clear over flow filtration system (50 or the 70 model) so I am worry about the added pressure that is put on the back of the tank. Would this added pressure cause leaks in the tank in the long run and would the shorter 20 gal tank be more prone to it?

4. Will the tall tank have enough water circulation siince it is much deeper than the 20 gal tank?
    Lighting is not much of a concern to me because I am planning to get a 130 watt total lighting so it should penetrate relatively well.

Because the 30 inch tall gal would look better (since I only have max space to allow a tank of 24 inch in length so I only have the choice of these 2 tanks) I want to install it instead of the regular 20 gal tank. However, I want to know if I can still overcome the negative aspects of being a taller tank.

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would go with the 30 gal. The larger the tank the easier the water quality is to maintain. I'm not sure on the thickness of each tank but you may want to look that up real quick to see about your pressure. I believe my 20gal fuge tank is thinner than my 29gal fuge tank. I personally would not worry about it as long as you have all 4 sides of your tank supported from the bottom. Both a 20 and 30 gal tank can support ware and tear. My wife has 3 cats that are constantly beating on one of my tanks for entertainment. Especially once filled when pressures would be evened out. You may want to glue your rocks together though. If kids are constantly knocking on the tank the small vibrations could cause a rock slide.

4. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Well, 1 vote for the 30 gallon tank. Anyone else have other inputs.

Thanks.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd go for 30 for the same reasons as JT. 20's are hard. I have a 20 long and it's a constant battle to keep stable. I just was out of town for a week and things hit the fan big time.

What is on the other side of the wall? Would you have room for a sump? If so, you could greatly increase volume and stability.

6. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

The other side of the wall is a storage room. Since the clinic is still underconstruction, I have time to decide what size of the opening I need for the in-wall aquarium. Right now the electricity and the framework have been done and the next step in the construction is the plumbing for dental equiptments.

Well, so far I am now leaning toward the 30 gallon tank. It will cost more for the tank (more live rocks, more corals, more expensive equipments but hopefully it will be less troublesome.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would go 30Gal but keep the hight of the 20G. A reef tank or fish tank for that matter doesn't need the added hight. Fish don't swim vertically.

J

8. Click Here!

9. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Why would I keep the height of a 20 gallon tank? Isn't the purpose of getting a 30 gallon tank is to have more space and more visibility?

The fish may not swim vertically, but having a lot of nice corals would make a better looking tank...isn't that right?

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think J is thinking about taller tanks being harder to penetrate with light.
    So this storage room... could you put a big sump in it?

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Added width IMO is more useful space than height. Yes with an in wall the first thought would be to the height and length is most important. But you will find you are left with a Wall of rock. Getting as much depth as you can will add a ton of dimension to your tank. you will actually be able to have more coral in a wider tank than taller. As a lot of corals grow up faster then out. You could put 2 or three corals on the same level.

Again this is just advise and My personal opinion

J

12. Pete

Pete Astrea Snail

Extra Width

I agree with Jason about the extra width adding depth to your in-wall tank. I had the same decision with my home in-wall reef tank. I was trying to decide between a 90 gal (18" deep) and a 120 gal (24" deep). I am very glad I went with the deeper tank. I was able to build the reef like I wanted it but also was left with plenty of room in front for my fish to swim and to be seen.