Returned to hobby after a hiatus, questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Jfriend33, Apr 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jfriend33

Jfriend33 Plankton

Hello, thanks for having me!

I have kept cichlids, discus, koi, and fancy goldfish since I was 10. I'm now 30 and recently got back in the hobby after persuading my 12 year old nephew to as well!

I currently have a 15 gallon high tank with an Eclipse system 1. No heater is necessary. The water temperature stays between 74 and 76 degrees. I keep the florescent light on a timer from 5pm to 12am. Bare bottom with a few silk plants for shelter.

I feed my fish omega one color enhancing flakes. I also do bi weekly water changes of 10 percent. My nitrate, nitrite, gh, and ammonia levels are all perfect in normal parameters. I've had my water tested at the pet store. I'm going to purchase a full API test kit unless someone has a better recommendation. PH 7.2

The tank has been running since January. I began a fishless cycle and fed the water for 3 weeks. Added 3 zebra danios.

Then in Feb I added 2 more danios. I also adopted 2 very feisty golden algae eaters. I then added 1 tiger Barb and 1 green Barb.

Then last week the Tiger Barb just died. Found on filter intake. He seemed bashful / slow from day one.

Today I added 3 cardinal tetras, 2 more green tiger barbs, and 1 dwarf otocinclus catfish.

This is a grand total of 5 danios, 3 barbs, 3 cardinal tetras, 2 golden algae eaters, 1 Otto or 14 fish.

In looking at the tank it doesn't appear over stocked. The danios stay up top, the barbs in the middle, and Cardinals on the bottom.

Have I added too many fish? Should I buy a canister filter? Maybe add a 10 gallon tank below on the same stand with another Eclipse hood?

Thinking of ditching the 2 golden algae eaters so the Otto is well fed. They barely eat the glass algae anyway. They just rummage the silk plants for leftover flakes.

Thanks for your time!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Bump for the fresh water folk.

Does seem a tad overstocked to me but I am more familiar with salt.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

It's overstocked but if you're changing the water twice a week, I don't see an issue.

I have a 10 gal fresh water with two fish that I hand feed thawed blood worms to daily and I haven't done a water change in about a year. I do run two filters.
    Tank is fine.

Why are you running lights from 5pm - 12am?
    Does your tank get daylight too? 18-19 hours of light is too much.

6. Jfriend33

Jfriend33 Plankton

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Well I run the lights from 5p to 12a bc that's when I'm by my tank. I keep the blinds closed in the room so there's no direct light. Plus I figure the extra algae will feed the algae eaters?

Water is crystal clear.

Any recommendations on some tall silk plants? The ones I have are 12" tall but they curl over. The fish like this as a hiding place but it's like the top half is just empty space. Maybe this is good for the school of danios?

7. Jfriend33

Jfriend33 Plankton

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Think I need to put my Marineland duetto dj100 internal filter in the tank on the bottom and point the outlet down so the main filter collects the waste.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. A little extra filtration will not hurt nor will more frequent water changes. I would definitely get rid of the algae eaters. They do not eat algae and when they get bigger will terrorize your tank and probably kill your other fish.

10. Jfriend33

Jfriend33 Plankton

[​IMG]

New plants! Found some brand new ten year old Discontinued seagarden plants! What a great find!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congratulations! very colorful.....well, I just learned something - fw algae eaters don't eat algae - go figure! :)

12. Jfriend33

Jfriend33 Plankton

Thanks!

I do think it's hysterical that my otocinclus does more glass cleaning than the 2 Golden algae eaters. But I don't have to use a glass cleaner so I am very content with what algae they do consume.

I'm considering a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 and running it at the bottom for extra circulation.

Yesterday I bought a used eheim 2213 classic 250 and a Fluval 404 for $25. I connected them both to a 5 gallon bucket. I cycled a vinegar solution for a few hours. Then rinsed. Now I'm running it overnight with a bleach solution. Then I'll take a hose cleaner and really start detailing.

The Fluval is far too big for my little 15. But the eheim says up to 55 gallons. Don't see how that's possible as its only 116 gph. I thought the ideal gph was tank gallons times 10? Still I think it may make a good addition. Then I could possibly get away with adding a few more neons or tiger barbs.

My danios are really catching my interest. The females are pairing off and flaring their fins. Then I'm pretty sure I caught a male chasing a single female in various corners and plant spots. But I know the babies won't live in this setup.

I called around to some pet shops. I was able to find a brand new Eclipse system one. Problem is they want $119. I paid less than that in 2007 for my hood that included the 15gal. Hoping to haggle their price down. Maybe trade a friends 12" pleco or some iris pond plants to get some discounts.

I really would like to get a new stand that's cast iron. My current stand is pressed wood. And one time it did warp from my hood leaking (before I learned how to fix it permanently). Maybe I'll set up a ten gallon tank directly beneath it with an Eclipse hood. It would look pretty cool and not take up space!

I also found a 18 gallon High tank on Amazon by seaclear with a solid blue background special made for an Eclipse 1. But it was very very overpriced.

I guess I developed my obsession with these after having tight places. The tank can be mounted flush against a wall. But realistically we are talking a matter of a few inches gained. These systems are 14 years old and discontinued. However there's quite an availability of parts and filters which is a plus.