I want a planted tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by dsmerf214, Mar 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

Hi everyone! My FW tank is a mess. I know what I want to do, which is a planted tank, but people at a couple of lfs's have told me its not possible due to my raphael catfish. What few plants I have tried out he promptly digs up. I am very attached to this fish, and I'm not interested in getting rid of him. He was one of my first fish.

I was thinking that I could attach plants to the driftwood. How would I go about doing this and what plants would you recommend? Low maintenance, easy plants are preferred. I have a brown thumb LOL. My tank is a 30B. My light fixture is a 2x T5 that needs new bulbs. What would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I will VM 2in10 if he doesn't show up.Hes a green thumber.lol
    FWIW I have housed Raphaels in planted tanks before without issue. What kind of substrate do you have?
    Anubias have always been my favorite and will grow/attach to driftwood and is fairly hardy.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

For the bulbs get either 10000K or 6700K bulbs, or use one of each.

Plants: Anubias species as mentioned, as well as Jave Fern. Bolbitis is also possible.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Here he comes to save the day!!!!;D

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

IMO plant hardy plants like swords in pots and dig the pots up, then use floating plants and/or plants attached to solid surfaces like rock and wood.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Pots are a good solution as long as you use hardy plants.