Toadstool fragging and toxin release?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Slassco, Nov 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

I have a large colony of toadstool leathers attached to a center bottom rock I need to frag. I have read the threads and fragged other leathers. I am not clear on the toxin potential of the toadstool. Removing the rock to frag is not possible.

Is the toxin released during fragging or is it a natural release during its life cycle. I am trying to determine how many stalks to frag. I will attach a picture and any feedback welcomed.

Only other concern is that if the toxin is from the fragging, will it be ok to leave the frags in the DT to heal to the plugs if I run carbon or chemipure?

Thanks

180 dual overflow, eshopps r300 w/ vertex skimmer, AI LEDs, canister for Carbon/GFO.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I frag mine in the in the tank a couple times a year. I have never had a problem with it. It will release lots of slime, but it has never caused a problem. I will run a whitled down toothpick through the piece and rubberband it down loosely to a chunk of rock and drop it right in to the tank.

4. jasonak

jasonak Plankton

Ive prob made 50 frags at least from a giant toadstool I had in my tank. Reach in with scissors snip a couple big chunks off then cut those into smaller chunks. Never had anything die in my tank. Or saw any ill effect from it.

Once I actually cut the whole head off and split that up. Leathers are so tuff lol