Thinking of starting a frag tank

Discussion in 'Frags' started by PackLeader, Sep 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hey all,
    I just started to get into fragging. I think I did it right, as all my first corals were hardy, easy to care for polyps and zoa's. Well, now they are growing like weeds, which is what got me into fragging in the first place.
    The thought/idea of trading frags is very exciting to me, and I have been giving serious thought to starting a small frag tank. I was thinking of maybe a 10-20 gallon. I just basically need a place to keep my frags till I find something to do with them, as I am already running out of room for all of them in my reef tank.
    Would a small tank work? Thinking of the small tank, the eggcrate, one or two small powerheads, nano skimmer, and one of the clip-on MH lights. Something I could maybe keep on my sink?
    Any suggestions/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA all

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Go for a 20g long. It is a good tank size. I have one in my sump that I just took out tonight. I have it next to a 10g on my workbench and, looking at it, I think you would be really happy with it. It's a little wider than 10g.

10g = 20x10x13 (LxWxH)
    20g long = 30x12x13

[​IMG]

Also, that rumored Petco $1 per gallon tank sale is coming up on the 28th of this month. I don't know if there is anything to it, but if there is, you may want to consider a 40g breeder. Those are nice and wide.

Here is something else in my garage that a fellow musician might approve of........ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

20 long might work. It doesnt need to be too big, its just going to have my personal frags from my tank. I think the 40 would be too big. I'm probably gonna have to keep this on my kitchen counter ;)

5. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

PL, it all depends on how serious you are gonna get into it. If you think a year from now you will wish you had a larger set up then I would just bite the bullet and get the bigger tank and find somewhere to put it. Seconly if you are going with hardier corals and mostly Zoas, softies, and a few LPS that I see in your sig you really dont need a skimmer on a tank that small especially if you arent going to be feeding the tank. Just do water changers. I also don't think it necessary, to go MH over one of these tanks, and a small T5 might save some money, but if it is gonna be on the kitchen sink, the clip on MH might be a better look. I would save the money from the skimmer and put towards lights. Just my .02.

6. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

You definitely don't want a 10/g as a frag tank. I have one and it can get crowded QUICK! However, if that is what you have then go for it.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thanks for the input guys.
    I could go slightly larger, but as far as finding somewhere else to put it, I don't know if I can. I live in a 600 square foot apartment, already have my 40, setting up a nano in the bedroom, setting up a 125 across the living room from my 40... etc.

8. Click Here!

9. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

You can get a sunpod for a 20G long for about $290, which is what I paid for my 24" coralife pc fixture. I would do a 20 long as well!

10. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

do you have LFS, its customary for LFS to take in livestock and give you half the value in store credit

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Our LFS will take frags, but not issue any credit