I Just Added My Second Corals to my Tank

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Diana☮♥☺, Apr 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diana☮♥☺

Diana☮♥☺ Astrea Snail

Hello fellow 3REEFERS,

It has been almost a week since the addition of my first frag to my tank. On Sunday, I went to my local fish store and saw beautiful frags.

After some thought, I decided to purchase two frags; Montipora and Star Polyps.

I took the frags through the process of drip acclimation and then placed them in the tank. The Star Polyps closed a bit during acclimation and the Montipora pretty much looked the same as in the store.

Both of the frags did great throughout the whole process. I am hoping that they thrive and cannot wait to see how my tank will look in the end.

I will keep you all updated on my tank and its new inhabitants. Have a great day 3REEFERS.

Sincerely,
    Diana

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

congrats on the new corals.

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Awesome! you are officially a "reefer" now

5. Diana☮♥☺

Diana☮♥☺ Astrea Snail

Thank you all!

I am really excited. Here are some pictures of my Montipora and Star Polyp frags acclimating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you again, and yes, dowtish, I am now officially a reefer and cannot wait for what this reef hobby will bring me.:)

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the new adds

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Congrats Diana, I wish you the best- soon you will be addicted, like all reefers become at some point- be smart only buy what you can afford to loose and care for- start slow- learn - and grow. Every tank is different, and so is how you get a great tank, but keeping a great tank- one thing is always the same- good water quality.

8. Click Here!

9. Diana☮♥☺

Diana☮♥☺ Astrea Snail

Thanks alpha_03!

Yup! That is great advice right there: start slow, let it grow. My frags were pretty inexpensive.

I do not see coral frags (and fish, invertebrates, etc.) as a thing that can be bought and thrown, but rather as an investment, a buddy, like children that need to be cared for and depend on you for their survival. I cannot believe some of the people who hold the opposite idea and think that fish (of any kind, not just saltwater) are just 'things' that can be bought again and again. An ecosystem is delicate and it must be cared for.

I am starting very slow, you can say. I am planning on letting my tank mature more before I add my first fish; my rock is surprising me after all. I found macroalgae growing from one of the 4 pieces of new live rock I bought on the second week of setting it in my tank (I will try to snap a picture of it and post. It is a calcerous algae, I know that, because it has a hard, white base). You can say I want to let my rock mature more to see what other organisms develop.

Thank you all and I will try and post a picture of the corals in my tank, already acclimated and lively.

Sincerely,
    Diana

10. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Welcome Diana and congrats on the new corals. It is really exciting to watch the critters coming out of the rocks and I've picked up a lot hitchhikers on my corals. You never know what you're gonna end up with. We're looking foreward to seeing some pics.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Congrats, always exciting to get the first corals.

12. Diana☮♥☺

Diana☮♥☺ Astrea Snail

Thank You

My little Star Polyp frag acclimated really well. Within a couple of hours, two polyps opened up; the next day (today), all of the polyps were open and they were happily dancing to the currents gentle and smooth rhythm. Meanwhile, my Montipora frag had several of its minituare polyps flower; they are really adorable. These were actually my second and third corals which that I have added to my tank; the first coral, a Candy Cane Coral frag, is posted on another thread.

I cannot wait to see my corals trully flourish and grow. Reefing sure is addicting;D.

Sincerely,
    Diana