Frag Tank?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by lightningfront, Feb 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

What do you need in a frag tank that is not connected with another aquarium? I want to turn my old tank int a frag tank after I move everything over to the 125. Do I still need to run the skimmer, fuge, and keep LR in the tank?
    I just don't know if I need to continue to keep the cycle going, keep a few small fish in there or what?
    It will just have a bare bottom, eggcrate frag rack, and snails in it to keep algae under control.

2. Click Here!

3. hultink

hultink Plankton

good question
    i would like to know if it could just be a self sufficient tank in another room possibly?

4. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

if i understand the question right...then, consider the frag tank like a reef aquarium minus the sand or not, especially if its on its own. you will need skimmer, temperature stability, salinty and supplement stability (dosing), lighting, PO4 and NO3 control (i.e refugium). that is if you want your frags to grow and be healthy. build a egg crate rack and add janitors, etc. the same as a reef tank. only liverock in the sump if you want to max out your growing space in the main tank under your lights.

5. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

Cool, so basically leave the tank as is minus the sand with sump/fuge skimmer still running.

I guess without rock and sand in the tank then I should remove my hermits and add more snails for the CUC.

6. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

yes, but no! you will need the liverock, you just need to move it to the sump if you want the coral growing space. remember you still need the biological component. think big picture.

what is taking care of your biological filtration, chemical and mechanical. then add flow, lighting and keep things stable from an environmental point of view and supplemental point of view. if you build a rack then i might keep 1/2" of sand in it too. but i would have to be looking at the system, how it ran and what where the water quality parameters over time to see where things where headed.

7. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

Could you possibly run it in sequence with your new tank? I would think if you ran it hooked up to your new tank/fuge and such it would just be an addition of water volume basically. Other opinions on that?

8. Click Here!

9. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

Ha ha just noticed this is from a long time ago. Not sure how i even got on this thread lol.

10. cassidyarizona

cassidyarizona Plankton

frag ?

what is a good frag to start with that will grow quick

11. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

if your looking for sps then you can try some montiporas, also zoanthids are good, and some Lps like acans,

12. hookedonreef-er

hookedonreef-er Plankton

Bare bottom is definately the way to go for a frag tank. Not too many fish but you do want the fish that will help your corals... a wrasse to eat pests tang to keep algae at bay and a good clean up crew.