ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Spaghetti Worm

Skin: Mint
lightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to all

gallery
Default Frag Tank?

What do you need in a frag tank that is not connected with another aquarium? I want to turn my old tank int a frag tank after I move everything over to the 125. Do I still need to run the skimmer, fuge, and keep LR in the tank?
I just don't know if I need to continue to keep the cycle going, keep a few small fish in there or what?
It will just have a bare bottom, eggcrate frag rack, and snails in it to keep algae under control.
lightningfront is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Plankton

hultink is on course

gallery

good question
i would like to know if it could just be a self sufficient tank in another room possibly?
hultink is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
3reef Sponsor

Fusion will become famous soon enoughFusion will become famous soon enoughFusion will become famous soon enough

gallery

if i understand the question right...then, consider the frag tank like a reef aquarium minus the sand or not, especially if its on its own. you will need skimmer, temperature stability, salinty and supplement stability (dosing), lighting, PO4 and NO3 control (i.e refugium). that is if you want your frags to grow and be healthy. build a egg crate rack and add janitors, etc. the same as a reef tank. only liverock in the sump if you want to max out your growing space in the main tank under your lights.
Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Spaghetti Worm

lightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to alllightningfront is a name known to all

gallery

Cool, so basically leave the tank as is minus the sand with sump/fuge skimmer still running.

I guess without rock and sand in the tank then I should remove my hermits and add more snails for the CUC.
lightningfront is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
3reef Sponsor

Fusion will become famous soon enoughFusion will become famous soon enoughFusion will become famous soon enough

gallery

yes, but no! you will need the liverock, you just need to move it to the sump if you want the coral growing space. remember you still need the biological component. think big picture.

what is taking care of your biological filtration, chemical and mechanical. then add flow, lighting and keep things stable from an environmental point of view and supplemental point of view. if you build a rack then i might keep 1/2" of sand in it too. but i would have to be looking at the system, how it ran and what where the water quality parameters over time to see where things where headed.
Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Spaghetti Worm

jkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Could you possibly run it in sequence with your new tank? I would think if you ran it hooked up to your new tank/fuge and such it would just be an addition of water volume basically. Other opinions on that?
jkuja913 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Spaghetti Worm

jkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond reputejkuja913 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Ha ha just noticed this is from a long time ago. Not sure how i even got on this thread lol.
jkuja913 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Plankton

cassidyarizona is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default frag ?

what is a good frag to start with that will grow quick
cassidyarizona is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Blue Ringed Angel

Skin: Classic
drew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond reputedrew3 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

if your looking for sps then you can try some montiporas, also zoanthids are good, and some Lps like acans,
drew3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Plankton

hookedonreef-er has a spectacular aura abouthookedonreef-er has a spectacular aura about

gallery

Bare bottom is definately the way to go for a frag tank. Not too many fish but you do want the fish that will help your corals... a wrasse to eat pests tang to keep algae at bay and a good clean up crew.
hookedonreef-er is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!