Sump help!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by packagerat, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think I have screwed up the sump design somewhere :confused: and hope some of you will be able to help me out.
    This is a new build so no livestock in tank only live rock cycling
    current setup:
    180 gal. tank drilled with 1.5" bulkhead a corner overflow was told rated at 1800 gph
    50 gal. breeder sump 36x18x18
    20 gal.fuge
    panworld 200 ps return pump Rated at 1750 gph
    Sump is in basement 10 foot below surface of tank pump return section is 51/2"x18"x10"
    Have 3 baffels 1.5" apart for bubble traps
    Using a Durso standpipe in overflow
    [​IMG]

Sump And fuge setup in basement
    My problem is when I turn on the pump either the overflow or drain cannot keep up with pump. The return section runs dry and pump sucks air. I went with the slightly smaller pump so I could always run it wide open yet I can only run it with the valve 3/4 closed and the display tank is right near the top about 1/4" under teeth on overflow. I did somthing wrong if you can see it please help before I start tearing down the sump to redo it and get it wrong again. Flow runs left to right in sump and right to left in fuge.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I dont see where your pump is

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I think he says it is over flowing till the sump runs dry then the pump begins to draw in air.

(imo) that left pipe in the picture shows drain from tank back to sump correct ?.
    If so that appears to have a whole lot of angles to it , with each angle added it will slow down water flow back to sump.

And the over flow box ? you have it in the corner of the tank ?
    (imo) best left in middle/back of tank.

I would look into a larger dia. pipe to fit that over flow box or purchase a new over flow box with two outlets to it .

The right side tank fuge , you can add a pump to the sump and route the water to top of fuge ,it appears you already have it's drain in place.
    Also it's awefully far away from sump area ( alot of needless pipe length it appears ).

(imo) If it were me' id take the sump turn it round so that the sump outlet is to the left.
    thereby giveing you room to move it closer to fuge.
    (less pipe) then the down pipe/s from main display tank can make a straight shot down to sump.
    (less bends and pipe= less length for water to travel and reduces all the bends in the pipe. )

Here i made this real quick see if that helps..>
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

it's mounted under the fuge... I can't remember off the top of my head but I know there is a maximum drain rate on a 1.5" bulkhead maybe thats what your running into, or maybe to many turns in the plumbing to slow down the flowrate
    also i've never used a baffle on the return area over 50% of the tank's height, just me but I've never done a co-loc'd sump setup maybe someone else that has one can chime in and help out

Also just noticed something, how do you have this T'd off to your fuge? I don't see how that is plumbed in

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

If your pump sits in the middle of the sump and fuge it looks to me maybe your not getting enough return in the fuge and your pump is just returning water out of your sump. Also did you install any gang valves on your drain pipes? You may be able to dial in the amount being drained to your sump and fuge while allowing your pump gang valve to remain wide open.

7. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

The fuge has me stumped as well

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Post me a picture of the tanks overflows then I can tell more about what the problem may be . And let me be sure you are saying that if you open the pump feeding back to the main tank that it will over run the overflow at the tank ? Or the sump can't keep up with the draw from the pump ? Its a easy fix and I think I know your problem already Just send me a picture of the overflows and how ther are piped and all.

10. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I was thinking the same thing, how its t`d into the fuge. If it is t`d that way, your probably not getting enough drain water to it and the pump is just pulling water from your sump but in that case the display tank would over flow. Hmmmmmmm

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If the tank is reef ready ? Then run both drains to the sump and I see a flex PVC line running into the fuge if thats from the main tank it has to go directly to the sump then cut a tee and valve into the line back to tank from pump and feed the fuge . Then in the fuge bulkhead add a street 90' to the Bulkhead and that will set the water level in the fuge if you do not have a street 90 then use a stub of pipe and a Hub 90' Then take a drill bit and drill as many 1/4 inch holes as you can around the top to serve and a main strainer then if that stops up and you not notice it in the weekly cleaning then the top or the 90 will be a safety drain. And allow for a bit more time to clean the safety drain strainer aka the Holes :) But feed the fuge off of the pump going back to tank

12. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Its under the fuge stand

Yes pipe on left is 1.5" drain from tank just above that is a wye that goes to fuge with a ball valve on it to control flow. I will get pictures up tonight.

Sorry for not being clear it is a reef ready with a drilled 1.5" bulkhead in back corner of tank the overflow size is 5.5" x 8.5" with a durso standpipe 1.5" pvc

I did this so I could run return line straight up and to have easy access to pump

I have yet to let the pump run full open long enough to see if it would overflow tank because asin your 2nd question the sump return area runs dry.