Flow question. Closed loop?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Urban_s, Jun 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I am in the process of setting up my 75 again. I am trying to figure out how much flow I should have. Right now I am thinking 2xmj1200 and a 1100gph return through a squid. I have an extra 1100gph and an extra 740gph pump laying around. I was woundering if this the power heads and return are going to be enought or should I set up a closed loop. I wanna keep mainly softies, a few lps/sps and a clam or two.

2. Click Here!

3. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would say that you will be fine! The best thing to do is to have your powerheads bank of the glass of your tank to increase water flow to ambiggger part of your tank than if you went with just a straight laminar flow! You have the flexibility as well to move and position your coral around for optimum water flow and lighting to that particular coral!!!!
    If the powerheads and Sqwd do not work you can always alter it...not carved in stone!
    Best of luck and let us know how you make out!

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I have a 'closed loop' in my BC 14 now...used Loc-Line to make a curve around the surface all the way around the cube.

CL works awesome :) lots of flow but small amounts and an overall random flow

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If you are in the designing phases of the tank I would drill it and put on of these Oceans Motions in so that you can get rid of all the ugly PH cords and crap and have a nice looking tank.

7. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I would love a OM 4 or 8 way. But a little to rich for me blood. Thanks for the info.

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

oh...i dont have the link on me :( but search nano-reef.com for

"SCWD on crack" theres a really good DIY for when it craps out on you :)

10. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Thats what I have been planing on from the get go. I got the scwd for free.