Engineer Goby..The killer

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Yuri Kapustin, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Yesterday I noticed that two of my chrmois went missing during the night.
    This morning I found them dragged in front of my Engineering Goby's undeground tunner entrance. He was eating one of them when I found them.
    I wasnt aware that Engineering Goby's kill other fish.
    Is this true?

Richard Kerr likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

are you sure you have an engineer goby and not an Eel?????? that doesnt sound right...

4. Yuri Kapustin

Im positive hes an engineer goby. Im trying to figure out why hes so aggressive. Everywhere I look online, I find that hes a mellow guy.

5. {Nano}Reefer

can you get a pic? and when did this behavior start, what are you feeding him?

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

i thought they were herbivoires or however it's spelt

7. {Nano}Reefer

their supposed to be...

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I've had my EG since I put my tank up in 2001 and he will eat ANYTHING, even if it's too big to fit in his mouth! I had a few nudibranches that got shredded by a powerhead and he ate them. He tried to eat my chromis' I just put in but they we just too quick. However, I am down to 2 chromis, so, he may have gotten the other 3????

10. Yuri Kapustin

Whats strange is that this one is a juvenile. Maybe only 1.5 inches long! Hes so small compared to the chromis. Am I going to be at risk for the other fish I want to put in the future?
    I will post a live video of him eating the chromis and draggin him into his hole for those of you who are still convinced hes a herbavore lol

11. {Nano}Reefer

i would deffinately like to see the video. i would imagine if they died he would be an opertunistic scavenger but i dont think he went after them when they were alive(?)...... ive never heard of this.

12. Yuri Kapustin

The behavior started ytesterday.
    He is literally nipping at the dead chromis and at a point tried draggin him into the tunnel. Attached is a youtube video of him by himself so that you guys can see he is a eng goby, and another video of him dragging the fish closer to his hole. I watched him with my own eyes start eating part of the fish. He even got aggressive with a hermit crab that tried to dine with him.

Goby making a home: YouTube - Engineer Goby working to a beat

Goby eating Chromis: YouTube - Goby eating my chromis?????