Choosing the correct tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wildreef, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Choosing the correct tank

Let's discuss the dynamics of choosing a tank , there are many variables to consider for the beginner/novice reef keeper .
    How much time and money a person has to invest into maintaining a reef tank generally restricts a person considering size of tank , lighting , filtration , and size area you have to put your tank in.
    So ultimately cost will have to be taken into account as to what size to buy.

Tank size:

The up's and down's between small verses large tanks to keep it simple lets stay with regular run of the mill rectangular tanks.
    Typical rectangular tank sizes range from two gallons all the way up to three hundred.
    ( typical tanks that can be purchased from almost any pet shop )

Let's take small tanks from two to thirty-eight gallons.
    These small tanks can be deceiving though for the novice/beginner reef keeper.

Here are several "common" problems even the advanced reef keeper can have.

The disadvantages:

1, Small tanks are hard to keep stable water parameters , salinity, calcium, pH, etc.
    And when and if a "over dose" occurs it's hard to make a quick remedy with out damaging or killing tank inhabitants. I.e., Making a substantial water change.
    2, Small tanks have restrictions to them such as to what types of fish you can successfully keep such as some tangs, triggers, wrasses, compatible corals ,etc. ( what's compatible ).
    3, Small tanks cannot take a bio-load of 20 damsels , 6 adult yellow tangs , 30 assorted soft/stony corals
    ( it's not going to work ).
    4,Small tanks have terrible survival rates for fish/coral and compatibility

Common advantages :

1, It's easy to do water changes in a small reef tank.
    2, Cost is relatively low ( initially ) to buy, filtration systems , lighting , heating, etc.
    3, If you live in an apartment, or restricted to a very small space that your wife will allow to put such a thing.
    4, It's easy to do regular maintenance such as cleaning the glass , removing a pesky damsel / or invert, moving rock work, etc.
    5, It's very easy ( in comparison ) to larger tanks to tare down /disassemble if having to move it .

Now on to the larger tanks from forty to three hundred gallons
    They have their own "common advantages and disadvantages"

The disadvantages:

1, Larger reef tanks require larger more expensive filtration systems,skimmers,lighting systems,heaters etc.
    And it draws more on electricity to run all those weird gadgets .
    2, It's a daunting task some times to decide where to set the tank up , once installed it's very hard to move or tare down .
    3, Height placement of some deeper tanks will force you to buy a small ladder and additional assortments of special grabbing tools , traps, etc.
    Once their placed in-wall , on a high stand ' they can wear you out with simple tasks such as cleaning the glass, performing water changes, etc.
    4, It some what takes an act of god to catch that sally light foot (crab) that seems to vanish into all that live rock and prized expensive coral .
    5, Lighting is a very large factor for a deeper / taller tank , most corals require strong lighting ' and that can be some what a notable expense i.e., metal halides , VHO. ( never underestimate the need for proper lighting )

The advantages:

1, It's much easier to maintain as far as making corrections to water chemistry i.e., calcium,pH, alkalinity, etc.
    2, Having the larger tank gives more space for your fish and growing corals and makes for a better life for all the inhabitants that you are caring for .
    3, It helps to keep some of the more aggressive fish with other's that are not ( hence more space = more room for your inhabitants to hide , and gives each fish its own territory ).
    And small tanks just arrant large enough for most salt water fish, you wouldn't want to live in shoe box ,
    ( neither would your fish )
    4, It allows you room to grow as your experience level increases so to will your desire to keep more diverse , larger specimens of fish and coral.

Now keep in mind these are some of the more common questions that every beginning reef aquariest seems to have in the beginning.
    If you plan to keep a reef it's best to buy the larger aquariums simply because they are easier to correct in water chemistry , and you have a larger diversity / compatibility area in which to provide for the inhabitants.
    But they require more physical / labor intensive some times when maintenance comes into the equation.

I've never met a person ( non hobbyist ) yet that didint come over ' take one look at your large diverse world and drop their jaw or hear the OOO"s and ahhhhh's .
    I have nothing against small tanks , They can be very enjoyable to watch but they are not meant for the beginner as far as keeping a reef set up in them , and ultimately they require extra more precise care.

Further more I would suggest for the beginning reef keeper he or she should obtain no less than a 55 gallon or larger if space / moneys should allow.
    ( based on experience / failures and observations from others in the hobby )

Wildreef.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Very true. Good info for the beginner.

Thanks,
    Evan.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Awesome info....

1 person likes this.
  5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

WOW major karma for that one Gras, very informative!!!!

...... how long did it take to type that... ;D

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

bout an hour :lol: and thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. {Nano}Reefer

:eek::eek::eek: ..... lol

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

See..I'm not a total dingbat, I do have my moments of brilliance. :hehe:

10. {Nano}Reefer

hahahaha!!!! thats awsome!

11. cuttingras

Oh yeah...you have to teach the lesson that is passed to you. And NO passing of your lesson. If you don't know about it, then read everything you can about it and then post. Let's see how long we can keep this thread alive and still learn something!

12. cuttingras

I've decided to be fair to everyone and add this to it.

I am going to delete it from here and make my own and that's how it will be. We'll call it:

"Making A Reef Tank, Lesson: insert your lesson