ADVICE please, 55 gallon transfer to a 29 nano cube

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by muecyl, Mar 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

Maybe this is where I should have started my threads...

I received a Nano yesterday for my birthday.:party014::party010::party009:

I have a 55 gal that went to poop when I was gone in Maine. I am planning of moving so a smaller tank works for me better. The 55 started a hair-algae-problem when I was gone over the last summer. I have started rectifying this issue but it still is there. :p

I plan on transfer'n a lot of the "good" LR, LS, and mushrooms, over to the new nano and getting rid of the 55

***"Good" LR being non-hair algae covered and purple covered rock.

Does anyone have advise for a transfer process 55> to a Nano?

This all-in-one nano is all new to me,

I will have to figure out a skimmer set up for it too...

I'm all ears, Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Happy Birthday! I'll let someone else answer your question, I've only had my 55....

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Transfer water, rock and corals/fish you want to new tank. Use new sand.

Can't guarentee you will not continue to have algae problem unless you use all new rock and water that has gone thru cycle.

Don't use a skimmer on my Nano, but keep close eye on water params and do frequent and regular water changes. May help with algae problem also. :-/

5. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

So no on the Sand?
    Just as a piece of knowledge, the tank WAS in really good health, amazing purple and coralline growth. But, do to neglect its really hairy (literally). I have been doing water changes for the last couple of months and watching the h20 specs.

I just want to avoid problem with the new tank!

6. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

When I transfered my 72 to 34 I moved the sand, all of the nice rock. I filled the small tank up 3/4 with old water and 1/4 new. I did a large water change from the big tank and used that water in the new tank. Let the tank run for a couple of days then transfered the fish and corals. It was awesome, like cherry picking the best rock and corals and the fish you want and having a small tank loaded with corals. I only lost 1 frag, a monti. Everything else survived.

7. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

Since I'm transfer'n the 55 that is hairy to a Oceanic Nano, how long should the tank set up with water from the old tank???(taking into account my hair issues)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

IMO--Your rock and water will transfer the algae spores. If you want to guarantee that your problems won't transfer over to the new tank you need to nuke (completely kill) any rock that you transfer. Start with new sand, new water, let it cycle, the whole 9 yards. Don't use anything from the old tank that hasn't been bleached(obviously not livestock!!), start from scratch and don't cut corners, will save you an amazing amount of time, money, and pain in the long run!!

10. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

Nuking sounds scary