Ocellaris Clownfish FOTM February '09

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by PackLeader, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Ocellaris Clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris
    Other common names: False Percula Clownfish, False Clownfish, False Perc

[​IMG]

Reef Safe:
    Yes
    Attitude: Semi-Aggresive
    Diet: Omnivore
    Care: Easy
    Size: ~3 1/2"
    Tank Size: 20 gallons, though have been kept in smaller successfully
    Origin: Southern Asia

Personal Observations: The Ocellaris Clownfish is one of the most popular of all marine fish, and became wildly popular after starring in the film "Finding Nemo". They are good additions to any reef aquarium, and often form symbiotic relationships, which is not limited to an anemone. Powerheads, corals, heaters, and even mag-floats may become home to hosting ocellaris clowns. Contrary to popular belief, an anemone is not required to keep a happy and healthy ocellaris. They are commonly sold as either tank bred or captured specimens. Tank-raised ocellaris clownfish tend to be much hardier and slightly less aggressive than the wild harvested counterparts.

[​IMG]

While one of the least aggressive clownfish, they still can be a bit of a nuisance, particularly towards other species of damselfish and while hosting.
    Feeding/care is easy. Ocellaris clownfish are omnivorous, and will happily eat just about anything you put in the tank. They are also fairly resistant to water conditions, and make excellent beginner fish. My pair was the first fish I added to my tank, and survived my anemone death without showing much stress through the whole process, which is a definant testament to their hardiness. One of the neatest behavior the ocellaris clown can exhibit is the "forming of a bond" with their keepers. Mine will follow me around the tank as I move around, and spend as much time looking at me through the tank as I do looking at them. Also, they will even allow a touch here and there, and readily eat from my hand.
    Breeding in the aquarium is labled as easy, but rearing the fry can be a challenge which will require a seperate tank and also culturing the live rotifers required for food by the fry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. feixjai

feixjai Fire Worm

Great read Packleader! My clowns also do the same, follow me whenever I go and can be hand fed. Really cool fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Here's a few more pics of mine (I have a ton of them), and a video of my pair exhibiting mating rituals and hosting a patch of zoa's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the video:

Now c'mon people! I know theres more than two of us here that have False Percs! Lets see some pics and hear some stories! ;D

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great fish, I just noticed that my pair laid some eggs on a near rock. My girls are so excited. Luna

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cool stuff! You going to move them in another tank and try to raise them or just let it be?

1 person likes this.
  7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Great article Jason. I have an Ocellaris pair in my nano. She looks fat, so I think eggs are coming. They are responsive to human presence and are handfed. A spoiled pair they are. My wife wants to keep the eggs in a breeder tank and try to have baby clowns.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thanks John!
    That would be cool! Both mine are so fat it would be hard to tell ;D What can I say I feed them well ;)

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Let it be, clowns are fierce parents anyways. Let Mother Nature take its course. Luna

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

My fat clown pic ;D

[​IMG]