Frozen uncooked shrimp as food ????

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by sssnake, Nov 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

We have a bag of raw shrimp in the freezer and I would like to know if it's safe to feed it to the fish, especially my trigger and puffer. The frozen shrimps come with the shell so should I take the shell off or keep it on?

I was planning on soaking the frozen shrimp in some tank water prior to feeding time.

Is it a go?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It's has never harmed me when i have eaten it.. I also have used and still use it as a source of food for elegance corals Hammer's and Bubble corals as well as for all corals when processed fine enough. Great for anemones I use the little frozen pop corn or salad shrimp myself. But the better stuff you are referring to is also fine :) Now for the larger fish especially a trigger I'd just toss them in shelled no need to peel them for that type of use. I'm surprised more don't feed it cheaper per pound then many frozen fish foods

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree with Tangster.

While this will make it thaw quicker, it's not recommended to thaw in tank water. I recommend using RO/DI water at room temperature to preserve the nutrition and also to soak off the polyphosphates. It will help prevent algae problems.

The seafood industry soaks their catches with polyphosphates. It's a preservative, prevents ice crystals from ruining the cells, and it also helps seafood retain water. You can google for seafood and polyphosphates and get thousands of hits but this one is in plain english.

Polyphosphates in Fish Processing

Even Randy Holmes-Farley discusses this.

Chemistry and the Aquarium

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Thanks for the heads-up Curt.

6. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I had a bad expierience with frozen shrimp once- some are safe but some are chemically treated- be careful

7. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

In the height of my fish keeping I went through pounds of frozen shrimp a week. Never had any problems.

You can certainly thaw the shrimp out in tank water. If you are concerned what might be in the water, simply throw it down the drain when you're done.

8. Click Here!

9. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Hey take a look at asia soup starter, It's full of Raw stuff your fish will eat
    At Woodman's it's by the frozen shrimp

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Really? Miso base? I never looked and figured there were a mess of additives like MSG. Neat, I'll check the ingredients listed on the tub when I get home.

11. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Hey this is in a bag next to the frozen shrimp.

The bag has big parts of frozen musel, squid, shrimp, and some thing else in it.
    I don't think its what you are thinking.

Really? Miso base? I never looked and figured there were a mess of additives like MSG. Neat, I'll check the ingredients listed on the tub when I get home.

I will get the name of it for you. And its CHEAP too.

12. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Not trying to rain on anyones parade- if you by them from a pet store they are surely safe- so of the ones in the supermarket contain extra chemicals to prevent spoilage and retard bacteria and have killed some of my fish- most are probabily safe (the same theory thay use when they pump insecticde into the barge loads of grain used to make your bread), most respectable brands in your supermarket should list any additives