Flower anemone food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by cuttingras, Jun 21, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I just got a flower anemone the other day. DO I need to feed it anything special? I gave it some frozen mysis cube and I think it ate it????

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They'll eat just about anything that you feed to your fish

4. cuttingras

cool I'm going to order some good stuff for them. How bout squid?? seems like a good chunk of meat for them also shrimp that I would eat can I cut up raw shrimp and feed it to them?

5. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

try to go easy on extra feeding

HI,
    I have a couple large LTA' s and they require very little additional feeding, they do relish some fresh shrimp that been frozen, I de-shell it and drop a piece in the water and the CLarki stuff it in the anemone's for me its hoot to watch they all pick it up and take turns feeding and god help any one that tries to steal it from an anemone all three of them will jump the intruders.
    the only sneaks are the skunk shrimp their body armor must protect them from the stings they sneak up and wave back in forth like they are invisable and slip in to anemone and sneak off a piece or two.
    The large tang will try to carefully remove a piece and not be stung.
    I usally end up putting the stripe anemone in his corral and get all stung from time to time it dosen't hurt it just feels like they are sticky like tape I am not allergic to them some people so have problems breathing. so be sure your ok before messing with them.

6. cuttingras

Really??? Is that what they mean by it stings? Just sticks to ya...well if that's the case I'm not! I had this one glued to my hand while placing it in the tank so the powerheads wouldn't shoot his thru the water.. No reaction and he likes his new digs.....:)

7. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

I have been told many different things about my anemones but the one truth I have discovered is that they never know what they want. I just offer then food twice a week. Sometimes they will take it, sometimes they wont. My Sebae has been in my tank for 3 months now and he has not taken a single piece of food. (I was told he would eat as often as I feed him). My bubble tip eats every feeding but he stuck himself in a place that he barely gets any light. My condi moves around from time to time and if hes currently in a place with alot of light, he wont eat every feeding. Mine like squid and de-shelled krill the best. But like I said, you never know till you get to know em.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

I know so far mine will eat the mysis. When I fed it yesterday I took a frozen part and melted it between my fingers and I held it to the colored part of the flower, and it wrapped around it and I opened my fingers and nothing flew away. So I guess he liked it. I like to give my fish variety. I don't want to eat spaghetti every night!;D

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That "sticky" feeling is a result of the nematocyst barb penetrating skin:

NOAA's National Ocean Service: Diagram of nematocyst cell

Some people react to the venom that the anemone subsequently injects and some don't. I've never had a problem but folks with allergies can suffer from rashes and can even go into anaphylactic shock.

11. cuttingras

WOW...I should be allergic to it..I've got allergies to just about everything out there, so why not this...hmmm I've handled all the anemone's I had and never had a reaction...pretty cool. ;D

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I should correct by saying that it's not necessarily all people with allergies that will have a bad reaction but it seems that they are predisposed to reactions more than those of us without allergies.