Don't act like your flakes don't stink...

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ashevillian, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

So after reading here and there I'm seeing a few people suggesting not to feed flakes but to feed quality foods. I'm confused because I figured my flakes were quality. They contain garlic and are full of nutrition.

Anyway here is a list of all the fish foods I have available. If someone could give me some better advice as to what to feed, how much, maybe some varieties and when blah blah blah, this would be great. I've recently really increased my feeding regiment since I've added two more fish so at the moment I either feed once or twice daily, a nice pinch. Or maybe a krill or brine here and there as a treat.

Livestock List
    2" Occy clown(I think he is starting to become a she, thus the recent growth spurt)
    3-4" Flametail Blenny (always hungry and biggest fish in my tank so he's been named Goliath)
    1" Six-line Wrasse
    1.25" Red Banded Goby(Stonogobiops nematodes) Paired With
    Randell's Pistol Shrimp
    Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    Tiger Cowrie Snail
    Emerald Crab
    Fighting conch
    Trochus snail
    4x Astrea snails
    8x Ceriths
    5x Nassi

So with all that said Not sure the right amount to feed to keep everyone happy, that's why I've boosted my feeding regiment from three times a week (corals once a week) to every day for the fish and twice a week for the corals.

List of food is shown below, the two wet foods are brine shrimp and marine blend
    [​IMG]

I can list all the names if they are too hard to make out

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

psh, all i know is a feed all my fish that cheap flake food you get from petsmart, at one point i was feeding them goldfish food when i ran out! they were perfectly fine and have been for quite some time. of course as of now i have no fish more delicate than a dottyback. besides the dwarf seahorses.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of coral do you have? That will make a difference

IMO variety is the best way to feed. I cant really see all the names of the food, but I do think a lot of the flakes are basically the same as others there. Please list what you have. I do think you have a lot of products that are basically the same thing as some of the others you have

I have never used the algea rounds and tablets so i can not comment on them

Foods I see that I love........Zooplan, omega one and the spectrum.

Couple times a day is way too much. I would say no more than 1x a day, and personally I would do every other day is enough.

keep your food in the frige to keep them fresh longer

5. Ashevillian

Kent's Phytoplex
    Kent's Zooplex
    Kent's Microvert
    Two Little Fishies Phytoplan
    Brightwell's Reef Marine Snow
    Instant Ocean's Brine Shrimp
    Instant Ocean's Marine Blend
    New Life - Spectrum - .5mm Sinking Pellets (Small fish food)
    Omega One's Marine Flakes with Garlic
    Omega One's Krill
    Omega One's Brine Shrimp
    Omega One's Bloodworms
    Algae Rounds
    Bottom Feeder Tablets

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

flake foods are pretty much all binders and junk. pellets are not that much better. usually they sink and just rot.
    Sometimes you can find neutrally buoyant pellets which are a little better but not that good still.
    Then there is frozen which is always an okay choice.
    Lastly you will have live foods which is the way it was done years ago and is the best way to do it. almost no phosphates and junk added to the water this way.

Others may say differently, but ask yourself... who has years of experience to base information off of and who has a one time, week-long observation.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

answers are in quote

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

the algae and bottom feeder tablets are for my pleco in my FW system, i just figured maybe a tiny chunk here and there to the emerald crab, i have the laziest emerald crab ever, i dont think she has ever molted where as my cleaner shrimp molts about once a month

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I used to be a big advocate of frozen foods, but after seeing how many others feed flakes and pellets, along with the hassle of rinsing frozen foods and the algae issues if you don't, I decided to try it. I now only feed Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Prime Reef flakes. I feed at least once, and sometimes twice daily with no problems, and everything in my tank goes nuts as soon as the food hits the water. I do chop up a cocktail shrimp once per week to make sure my CuC doesn't starve. My fish have never looked so good, and so far, my crustaceans have been molting twice per month.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Variety is the way to go. If you choose flake, make sure it's quality and the first ingredient isn't wheat meal. NLS .5 mm pellets are the best IMO. I personally feed mysis and NLS pellets soaked in garlic.

12. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

is freeze dried brine shrimp any good?