Does anybody make their own food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by geekdafied, Jun 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Im going to try to make some food for my tank "geeks special blend". I went a little crazy at the seafood store today.

Anybody use octopus or squid to feed their tank? I read something somewhere about something not eating squid, dont remember anything else about what I read.

I bought....
    1lb shrimp
    1/4lb Sumiri Lobster
    1/2lb lump crab
    1/4lb Squid
    1/4lb Octopus

Im going to blend it and throw in some cyclopeeze in the mix. I bought these nifty little trays to freeze it in and them store in freezer bags.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i mix mysis shrimp,brine,cyclopease,algae flake,and dt.the rest of the time i use rods food

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Same here, I just mix my the dry foods. I haven't made my own yet with fresh seafood. I probably would if I had bigger, primarily meat-eating fish such as large wrasses, harlequin tusk, triggerfish, etc... which I would love to do one day.
    By the way, geek, you owe me a new monitor for trying to squash a bug on my screen.

j/k

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Do you mean surimi lobster? If so, why would you use such a product? There are wheat starches, soy proteins and non nutritive sweeteners (I think xylitol).

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

hahaha! I plan on blending it and freezing it similar to what you would buy in the little cubes. Tangs, clowns and just about any other fish will readily eat meat. Its a better source of protein then mysis shrimp and dried foods. I also plan on using it for Anemones. I may also make it small enough for corals too. Depends on if start running out of room or not.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Surimi lobster is fish. I got unseasoned, so theres no soy or sweetners in it. It just looks like lobster tails.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Yeah, the alaskan pollack I'm with ya. . it was the rest with which I was concerned. Looks like lobster tails, but tastes like chicken! ;D

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

This smells and Im sure tastes like fish, lol!

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I do pretty much same.

See post: Variety is the spice of life..

But as long as you are doing...recommend you add in some chopped nori and a dash or two of garlic oil would not hurt...;)

Great spread on crackers also...::)

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I cant get nori here. Nobody carries it. Went to a Japanese restaurant and they wouldnt sell me just nori. Im probally going to add some Romaine lettuce. My mom has a lot of it in here garden this year.