bloodworms are awesome

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I went from having a fat mandarin to a healthy mandarin... so I thought I would try some other food... bloodworms sounded like a fun idea.

so I went and bought some ($5.60 w tax at LFS). Figured I would start with half a cube of frozen.

I thawed it out in a few drops of tank water. it quickly spread from a block to a whole bunch of tiny bright red worms. :eek: NEATO MOSQUITO

I then sucked that up my 36" turkey baster and shot some infront of where Dragoon the mandarin hangs out. nothing, but plenty left...

figured I would see how the corals like it... I spot fed some to my dendro (loved it), duncan (loved it), blastos (loved), candycane (meh), anemones (love), hammerhead (would not keep a hold), bubble (not sure, was in bubble stage, not tentacle stage so not realy fair), zoas (took it, that is a first at feeding them directly), frogspawn (not sure). did not try the ric or shrooms or other softies)

Now when I say "loved it"... I have never seen these corals take food down this fast before. it was crazy. like eating spaghetti... I was really amazed and impressed.

by this time my baster is empty so I set it down for a later rinse. when I look down, the mandarin is hunting these down from around the tank. first time really seeing him eat and knowing it is coming... it was amazing. soooo fast. like lightening.

bloodworms are a win and are exciting.

I am thinking I should probably start supplementing the mandarin 2x a week with these (there are plenty of pods).

I think next time, I will just turn off the skimmer and dump some in vs. targeting. I will see how that works and then make a decision for the next time.

anyway, just thought i would share.

P

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I my be wrong on this so I dont know. And I really hope someone can clarify this for me, and I am in no way doubting you, but I was under the impression that we werent supposed to feed fish, corals, etc... with things that werent from the ocean. I dont know where bloodworms come from but if they are good to feed everything with thats great. That would give me another food that I could feed everything with. I like to give a wide variety of foods.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've been feeding bloodworms but not to my corals.. I'll have to try it.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I only say this for fun... not really trying to argue here...

but depending on your belief system, of course....

I personally believe that everything is from the oceans ;D

I actually do not know what these are... I majored in entomology for a while and I got the distinct impression these were larvae, not worms at all. Who knows. But I am quite happy with how my corals reacted to them!

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I used bloodworms as part of my rotation of food since I got the tank. All the fish love em, especially my scooter blenny.

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I think I'll have to give these guys a try!!

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Bloodworms really are amazing. There the only thing my green spotted puffer accepts, and I've tried a lot of food with him. Glad to hear you got your mandarine eating them

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Bloodworms were one of the few things my late and great mandarin would take as well. Never tried feeding them to corals but all the fish liked them.
    Be careful when using them as they have a mild toxin that some people can be allergic to.
    They are a larval stage of mosquitoes.

1 person likes this.
  11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Packleader mentioned alergic reactions. When I first started using them I was alergic and had to use gloves when dealing with them. But now my body is used to them and I just make sure I wash my hands before and after feeding

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

oh, and they taste like crap!

:-X