question about ich

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Teknine, Feb 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

i have a question and im wondering what you guys think i should do.. i have 60g tank 2 tangs and one koran angel and one clown wrasse the the blue tang got ich and passed it on to the yellow tang and the angel but the wrasse doesn't have it i tried to do the dip method a few times on each of the infected fish but didn't do much nor did the ich chemicals from the local fish store...i wanted to make a hospital tank but dont have the extra cash for a bigger one all i have is a 20g and i thinks that's to small for 2 tangs and a angel so i dont know how to proceed from here should i return the fish the and hope they can cure it with a bigger tank and just change my water and start fresh...ive had them for over 3 weeks infected but there still eating and usually swimming

thanks for any help

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unless you leave your tank fallow ( without fish ) for approximately 28 days to 6 weeks, once you re-introduce the fish they may become infected again. I doubt the fish store will take them or treat them effectively to eradicate the parasite.

4. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

but how come the wrasse doesnt have it ...if ich was in the water the wrasse would catch it too right?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

All fish can get Marine Ich, but some are more susceptible like tangs and clowns. During part of the parasites life cycle it resides in the substrate and then becomes free floating again.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Clowns are most definitely less susceptible to crypto than most fish because of their thicker than average slime coat.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i believe ich is always in your tank. and when there is something that causes a fish stress it that rears its ugly head. uv lights, selcon, running constant and fresh water dips on the fish that get it works. when you fresh water dip a fish you will see it gives them relief. you will see the spots disappear. it gives the fish a chance to fight it. and in time, become immune to it. when i do the dip i float the container in the tank so the fish can see its home. its less stressful for the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

oh i see thanks guys

10. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

I had the problem recent and found a wounder cure . First off do you have coral ?

11. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

yea i do its a reef tank

12. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

Take all fish out , The ich can not have a host or it WILL live . Go 30 days plus with no host in tank , Its hard to do but it will save your fish .

Go to PET SMART and get a product called copper safe , Get a API copper test kit they have this there ,

I did not have the money for a hospital tank so I used a 30 gal rubbermade storage tote .

Do half dose first day , test water frequent ,add the rest (copper)the next day .

Change water often , add copper to water you change .

I used a two gallon bucket to fill my toat , this way I knew the excact amout of gallons of water to get me started with the dosing .

Ill post lots good reading info on ich here give me a sec .