Clown with Ich

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Cheygirl8, Apr 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

So as the title says, my clown has ich, which has now exploded from one little ich bug, to many -.- . I know that it is as simple as a freshwater dip from what I am reading but that is not my primary problem. My clown is in a cube tank while she eagerly awaits our 120 to be set up (which is now just awaiting plumbing and stand construction and the Ro/di unit). I have had this clown for a few days, but tank has been cycling for 3 weeks with live sand and live rock.

Main problem is my Ro/Di unit got delayed 3/4 days. It was supposed to arrive Monday when I got my clown last Friday (I checked tracking yesterday which was "in transit" but noticed the exploded ich problem today) . So I am wondering what I can use as an alternative? I have a freshwater tank I maintain, but I feel like the process of making that water is not going to cut it (because I wanted to give her the good stuff :D which in turn will be replacing current freshwater tanks water) I have the nutri seawater that I can do a full water change that is the same ph and salinity. But I don't know whether that will help or not. Also when I picked her from the LFS she had the ich but was readily eating and swimming VERY actively! Reprimand me as a bad fish mommy later .-. I don't know how long she has. Which is why this post ended up in "Asap" many thanks appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1. Get some Cupermine and a Salifert copper test kit.
    2. Do not move the clown over to a larger tank until you treat for ich in a QT.
    3. A fresh water dip vs bath is not effective for marine ich, the parasite is buried too far into the tissue. You'll just stress the fish out.
    4. Or try this Hikari Ich-X, it contains Formalin which will also treat Cryptocaryon. Follow directions carefully do not treat in display. No test kit needed.

Aquarium External Parasite, Ich Control: Aquarium Solutions Ich-X SW for Marine Aquarium Health

Moved----- Fish Disease.

5. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

Thank you so much! The small nano she is in now, is my QT since she will be housed in the big aquarium later. But not now definitely not. So, I have moved her out of her nano into a smaller QT (so I can treat the tank she was in to prevent spreading later on, while I treat her as well) So far once I got a dose of the Ich X into the water she is moving around a lot more. Ill see if she will still gobble up some brine shrimps to help her fight it.
    If I have learned anything new it was that I didnt know about the temperature tip from reading that link civiccars so I have the tank warming up. Also the specific name for the Ich X helped because I knew what to look for that wasnt going to stain my tank, but help her. (plus all I have in my area is lfs, which dont carry saltwater fish unless I go 30 miles south from where I live so it was nice to know what I was looking for so I could make one trip and feel confident I got the right thing)

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

I hate to necromance, but I figured an update on the Clown was past due. After treating her for 2 weeks with ich-x. She is eating VERY vigorously and can't seem to eat enough brine shrimp. Also, she is still very actively swimming around but still acting funny... She will sit at the bottom of the QT and jerk her head side to side like she has gone crazy, and swim sideways in order to scratch her head. Her face (she is a saddleback clown so better mental image here) has lost some color, it was bright orange, but now is a softer pastel yellow. The white spotting has since disappeared in these two weeks, but something still is not right. Because of this I went out and bought a book called "Marine Aquarium Handbook -Beginner to Breeder" by Martin A. Moe Jr. which very nicely has a section on diseases and treatments with a little tang diagram example to identify. The Ich-x I have which I have been using to treat Ich, also has in it Formalin and Malachite green in it, which as I am reading are good methods for treating "Clownfish Disease" which matches the whole loose looking scales, but she should be dead based on this books' life expectancy with that disease. Whereas she has been strongly kicking for almost a month now. Out of all of my parameters, the only thing that is off is the PH which I have been using the Instant Ocean stabilizer to keep in check in the QT tank in between dosing the medicine and water changes.

TLDR: Clown eating and swimming, color fading, white spots gone, doesn't match with clownfish disease mortality rate. But still listless and loose scales on top of head. I have treated with Ich-X, and raised temp to around 80*F and I am baffled @.@