Is a UV sterilizer reef safe?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by vegasfish, Apr 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I have read a few threads on here about how well everyone likes their UV sterilizer. I have been doing more research on them and I want to get one to combat ich since I love tangs. I do have coral and I will be getting many more once my 240 build is done.

So I stopped by the LFS and they said UV sterilizers are not good for reef tanks due to removing the good stuff corals need. He said I should run a Ozonizer (Ozone) setup? Can you please let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Will

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

skimmers are good enough now that you dont need ozone. there are a couple member that run it. it rasies orp which is a good thing. if you have the money it wouldnt hurt.
    Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    3 parts enjoy the read

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

oh about the sterilizer i would recommend them used when you have a disease outbreak but not full time although you probably could

5. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Okay thanks, Does anyone run a UV sterilizer with a reef setup on this site?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think cuttinggras runs one,
    i used to run one, and i guess i can again when i buy a new bulb

the bulbs burn out pretty fast which is one reason i recommend only running them when needed.

1 person likes this.
  7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Ah I see. I looked and the bulbs are not cheap.

8. Click Here!

9. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

I just purchased and installed an AquaMedic Helix 36W on my 110 last night. Like yourself I spent a long time considering it and after some research and advice from the knowledgeable people here I took the plunge and bought one. With the advantage of killing parasites as well as algae spores how could a person go wrong. As far as bulb life goes, AquaMedic says their bulb has a life of 5000 hours at 100% and up to 8000 hours at 85%. I decided to buy one way overrated for my tank so I could get roughly a year before changing bulbs.

1 person likes this.
  10. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I run one on mine. I swear by them now. Just don't run it all the time.

1 person likes this.
  11. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Alright I'm in. I will purchase one this weekend so I can figure out where i am going to stuff it when I start my plumbing.

Thanks for all the help on this.

1 person likes this.
  12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

What kind are you looking at?