System Pump Plumbing/Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by SeaGirl, Apr 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

:confused:Hi guys,

I'm starting to work on the plumbing for my sump/refugium, and I'm not sure about the plumbing for the external pump. As you can see in the photo, there's vinyl tubing connecting the pump to the sump, but I don't know how this would work if I need to disconnect the pump for maintenance. How would I do this without water leaking out of the sump? I was thinking of putting in a ball valve in place of the vinyl tubing and just using it for pump maintenance purposes. Space is tight in the cabinet and I don't have the room for a true-union ball valve, but I was looking at single-union ball valves and I think there would be room for one of those. Do you guys think this would work? And what types of connectors would I use--I'm new to this whole plumbing thing. (The pump and sump inlets are both 1"). Any ideas and advice are heartily welcomed!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Take off the vinyl tubing and install the ball valve just like you said. You'll have to also replace the barbed fittingat either end.

1 person likes this.
  4. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

;DCool! Thanks for the advice! Let me know if I've got this right--forgive me if I'm being a moron, LOL!-- So the single union goes on the pump side, then when it comes time for maintenace I'd just shut the ball valve off, and unscrew the union, taking out the pump? Both the sump and pump inlets have female threads, so what PVC parts would I use to replace the barbed fittings to connect the single-union valve to the sump?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Depending how your set up is, you might have to install two ball valves. The union should go after the BV.

6. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

Thanks so much, lunatik! I do have another ball valve in the return line from the pump, so I guess I'll use the one single union valve on the pump/sump side! I think I've got it now! Thanks again--boy, I'm getting excited now!!:trampolin

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Just remember to have a towel handy, there will always be a little water in the lines. Take a pic after you connect everything. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

Thanks again, luna, I'll be sure to put up more pics once it's all together! ;D

1 person likes this.