Sump Idea for Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by BLaZeBLaST, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Hi 3reef members,

I have two red eared sliders, both 1 years old. But they grow fast, and their garbage grows faster than that.

I found it hard to keep water clean(speaking about biological) and decided to make a sump, but websites about my language is short on turtles or somehow, so I beg for your help.

My tank is 65x24x42 centimeter long(near 65 liter), and i decided to make a sump; 30x20x20, i think it is enough.

1-) I have a powerhead(pump) and canister filter. I think I can use my canister as a prefilter and take filtered water to sump. My tank will be top of my tank and water will fall down to the aquarium, I dont think to use powerhead. So I will have more space on sump and water coming to the sump will be more clear.

2-) What do you recommend to use in sump for red eared slider turtles? I dont know much about their garbage and about its chemistry.

Thank you for all the answers. Because of the English isn't my first language, I may mistake on my topic, please forgive me. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

1-) I have a powerhead(pump) and canister filter. I think I can use my canister as a prefilter and take filtered water to sump.

No, you want to give dirty water to the sump - that's the point.

Use the canister right before it goes into the display tank, or not at all IMO.

What I've seen done, bc turtles are so messy is to just use a sump to work as like a p trap. What'd they do is occasionally put some flow around and stir up the water. This in turn would bring the junk into the water column.

The sump then would catch it bc the sump is setup in such a way to trap it.

But let that (maybe with some filter socks) be your first 'stage' in the sump.

My tank will be top of my tank and water will fall down to the aquarium, I dont think to use powerhead. So I will have more space on sump and water coming to the sump will be more clear.

You mean an overflow right? In turtle application, I see it more often lower in the tank to really catch the garbage. You want dirty water going to the sump. As dirty as possible really. Most of the turtle gunk doesn't float so long IME. (in my experience)

2-) What do you recommend to use in sump for red eared slider turtles? I dont know much about their garbage and about its chemistry.

I haven't had that specific turtle, but, turtles don't really need pristine water. You can set up a series of overflows inside the sump to catch junk and maybe some filter socks or sponges (that will need cleaned very regularly).

I've seen people keep hermit crabs in the sump to eat the junk that collects. It doesn't take many.

4. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I've heard about live rocks and some plants. Do they need experience to use, I must ask.
    And what kind of rock or plant can I find and use?

I planned that the first section of my sump will be full of bioballs, maybe some kind of sand I saw. To be kind, I do not know.

I will send a plan of my sump.

5. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i think live rock is only applicable for saltwater not fresh(correct me if im wrong) as for bioballs im not sure and plants would probably help a little...plant care is easy, as long as there isnt a ton in the tank i dont believe you need a co2 canister but the only additional thing you'll need is a lamp fixture and a bulb rated at 6500k

im not 100% sure if protein skimmers work in freshwater but if they do that would definitely help with the poop and as mentioned above you want the dirty stuff getting to your sump, hope this is helpful

also as an alternative from live rock i believe people use driftwood for colonies of beneficial bacteria to grow in so maybe add some drift wood? im not sure if there is any inverts that are safe to be with turtles but if it were safe id imagine crayfish/freshwater shrimp/etc would also be good for cleaning up poop and stuff

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sell the canister and get a wet/dry with an overflow for the tank. Wet/drys are the way to go with turtles. I had a big one on my 75 truvu tank with a big striped neck leaf turtle. My turtle was VERY messy. Just rinsing the pad in wet/dry tray, keeping up on the carbon and doing monthly water changes was all I needed to do to keep the water great. I highly recommend this route.

You can DIY a wet/dry easily if you don't have the money and already have a sump. Just buy the overflow (about $60) and then get a 5 gallon bucket. Drill some holes in the bottom so it drains well or cut out a square in the bottom and put egg crate over it. Fill 3/4 with bioballs (pretty cheap too) - then fabricate a drip tray to put over that. (just smaller plastic lid with lips would do - turn it upside down and drill holes in it. Put bucket in sump and raise it above water line and secure it with whatever plastic you have around. Just don't block the drain. Get a sump pump to return water back to tank. Put a ball-valve inline on return. Adjust to overflow. Done.

7. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Thanks for you both for your replies, @brunoboarder244 and @Matt Rogers

First, I've decided to do back sump(I mean at the back of the aquarium, seperated from the aquarium), then make a overflow to sump like you(@Matt Rogers) and at the end of the sump will be powerhead.

But I can't for now on my tank, because I dont think to change much before I went to university. I will make a sump in my dreams and as you said, sump at down as aquarium.

And I must say, in Turkiye(in your language Turkey); you can't find any dealer selling overflow or acyrlic or something all the forum are recommending in their posts. All I can do is "google" it and try to make it myself, as you said "DIY".

Thanks for all help, but I will go with the upper sump. I am thinking to use powerhead instead of canister filter, but suction section of powerhead gets dirty so fast, so I don't know what to do? Maybe I can use my canister empty, without filtering equipments. (my canister sucking so low on electric, 10 watt; but powerhead like 25 watt. And h/l of these machines are same)

Maybe a bit more recommendation from you? :)

And this is the photo plan of sump I will make;
    [​IMG]

From beginning to the end(1,2,3,4); what filter media do you recommend?
    I am asking several times and I apologise, I must clear every question mark in my mind.

And sorry for many broken English.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Can I request from moderators to move the title back to the "filtration" section?

I think this quest will be answered well in that section, not on turtles.

If possible :)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

11. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I will take photos of my tank and return with my problems,
    Thanks for all your replies. :)

12. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Just for now, I am sending the project I am thinking. I will send photos as soon as I purchase the stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sump will be 60x15x20 centimeter. I am thinking about 4 section for media, not including beginning and ending of the tank. I am still waiting for help to how to divide sump for best use, waiting for replies and every idea is welcome. ;)
    [ for example, first section must be 15 centimeter and you should put some sponge in it. ]

I am waiting for your tips and experiments. Thanks for all your replies, sorry for my English. :)