Stockman Standpipe

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Pisces23, Feb 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Hey folks...
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with Stockman standpipes in HOB overflow boxes. I think I need one, but I'm not sure I'm up to building one myself.
    Stockman now has a deal with Premium Aquatics and they sell his standpipes there, so I'm thinking of ordering right from them. They say that model is only 6.5" tall.

Stockman Aqua-Silencer Overflow Model: Premium Aquatics

Any input on the pros and cons of these things would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

BUILD YOUR OWN! Look for a Durso standpipe and you'll find instructions on how to build one. Only costs ~$5 at HomeDepot and you get complete control over the height and size. VERY easy to build. I had one and it mad my CPR overflow 100% silent.

5. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I do already have an overflow box and I have already looked at the online directions (both Durso and Stockman's sites), but I don't have a dremel to mod the reducer. Do you have any tips on building your own? Pics of the process or parts?

6. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hey Pisces,

You don't need a dremel. What I used was a piece of sch200 pvc for the pipe, then I used PVC reducers to put a 2" tube around it. I caped it off and drilled a small hole in the top. I'll get the part names when I head to homedepot today.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its just a short section of PVC pipe with holes drilled around the top of the pipe with a 1.1/4 blind cap and a vent hole with a air adjustment on the cap. cost about 1.00 to make if you have a drill ? I think there is laying around here some place if I can find it I'll get amcarrig to post some pictures of it. I may have tossed it last time I emptied the bucket ? You can get a burr wheel for the drill at any hardware store then you have a driemel But the thinner wall pipe will slip right over the bushing like mentioned earlier .

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Nice. I'm very much a plumbing newbie, so any advice helps a ton. And pictures too! I don't know the difference between the schedule 200 pipe mentioned above and the stuff I just used to plumb my sump return. I do have a drill so I can drill the holes in the pipe...it's really just the reducer and cap that I don't understand...
    Thanks in advance...
    -e-

10. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Any luck finding those parts or pics or anything? I'm thinking of trying to make the move this week and I'd like to have the plumbing entirely sussed out by then...

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Poop...I forgot about this. Tangster is out of the house right now but let me see if I can find the part that he's talking about.

12. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey Pisces,
    This is so simple to make I just made one for my overflow last week. here is a pic to show you the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    from the bottom you have a threaded piece that screws into your bulhead, then you have the straight pipe going to a "T" then the cap on top and your elbow on the side. the water is going to be draining through the elbow and the cap on top with a hole in it is to adjust the water level. you can twist the cap with the hole in it to make the water lower or higher.I would not glue anything just make sure it is a very tight fit. Very easy to make and it works very well. The overall height should be about an inch under the top of the overflow.
    Good luck!
    -Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.