Some sump questions...

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by smackrock, Jun 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

I've setup my 12 gallon sump, (built in overflow on a 90gal), and its doing what I need (remove microbubbles, house some equipment), but I'm a little confused on the way the water acts when I add top offs so maybe someone with more experience can explain this to me.

When I add additional water to the sump, I thought my sump water level would rise accordingly, but what happens instead is, my sump water stays relatively the same(some what higher), but the majority of the water ends up in my overflow compartment. So every time I add more water, my overflow gets a little higher. Is this normal?

I tried straightening the drain tube some more, and that caused additional water to flow into the sump, but then my overflow drained completely and left me with that ugly slurping noise. I readjusted it so I had a few inches of water in the overflow , but again if I add top off water, I just see my overflow fill up more. I have a sponge in my overflow drain to prevent a whirlpool / catch jumping fish (just in case), so not sure if that's causing the back up. My drain is an acrylic tube, one piece right to the micro-sock on the sump.

The sump water level seems to balance itself so its just enough to suck into the return compartment so I don't think I'm risking the pump from running dry, but again I'm not an expert on this so any input would be helpful. On that note, anyone know any good baffles or systems to turn off a pump if it runs dry? Karma to those who help! =D

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It doesn't sound right. When I top off the sump by pouring water into the return compartment of the sump, the water rises in the middle or other compartment, as it should. A pic of your set-up will help.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I agree, we need a diagram or something to help with this one.

5. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds good, I'll take a picture tonight of before and after I top off.

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

sounds like it needs a ball valve on the return to help tune the flow a bit.

7. samsbugs

samsbugs Plankton

Drip system?

I am new to this but the book I have said to do a drip system, the one I made takes about 4 hours to a gallon. This also keeps the salt level from changing too fast.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

What do you mean by "drain tube"? Do you have a standpipe installed in your overflow? Your overflow box level should remain pretty constant just like the display, the level in the sumps return section will go up and down with topoffs and evaporation.
    You are not restricting the overflow flow from the display to the sump are you? This should remain wide open and the return pump, possibly with a ball valve on the discharge side only, should determine how fast it overflows and returns to create the balance you need.\

Photos and descriptions would certainly help.