Ro/di suggestions please!? Cheap!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Dec 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Was using my house system but the filters cost as much as a new system! EBay has some for $104, bulk reef supply around $140 as wells as buckeye field supply! Any thought on any of them? Or any rcmendations?

2. Click Here!

3. franchise52

franchise52 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I got one on eBay for 95 and it works perfect!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Do you remember what name it was? Also is the di filter medium easy to change out?

5. Bryan

Bryan Plankton

This is about the best bang for your buck right now. I have it and it works great. 0 TDS everytime

MAXPURE MPDI SYSTEM

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks, after reading up and looking around, I wasn't comfortable buying the $100 versions out there! Got the best deal for a AquaFX 50gpd 4 stage for $150 shipped with replacement filters from reefwerks.com Could've saved about $15 on ebay, but not with the free filters! And these sound to be of a little higher quality!

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

NOTHING even comes close to the Spectrapure systems.
    No other vendors specially treats then tests their membranes by hand to improve their performance. This is extremely important since a 2% improvement in membrane performance results in DOUBLE the life out of your DI resin. Which system do you think will cost less to own and operate?

Spectrapure custome blends evey ounce of their DI resins and the SilicaBuster their most popular resin costs only $18 but lasts at leats 30% longer than any other comparable mixed bed resin. Now ad a better membrane and a better resin and which system do you think will cost maybe half what another costs t oown and operate?

Then you get a capillary tube flow restrictor which you yourself test then trim for an exact 4:1 waste ratio so no more wasting excessive water (more money down the drain) or not enough ( shortened membrane life again leading to more frequent replacements and higher cost of ownership).

Add to that a 0.5 micron absolute rated sediment filter you will not find anywhere else so it protects the carbon block better so it lasts longer (again lower cost of ownership) and a 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, not a 1, 5 or 10 micron like other vendors. You also get an inline pressure gauge so you can monitor incoming pressures and filter conditions

You will not find a better system for anywhere close to that money if you can find one at all.
    Personally I would cancel the AquaFX before its too late and go with the Spectrapure, no comparison in quality and for $120 you can't go wrong. Aqua FX is mediocre at best and the replacement filters are just so so at best. Again not even in the same ballpark and will end up costing you much more money.

8. Click Here!

9. Bryan

Bryan Plankton

Listen to the RAT, he is VERY wise

10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

+1 spectrapure

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol! Do you happen to work for spectrapure? 15 minute commute? Thanks for the info, and I agree that spectrapure is a great product! But its not $120! Its $120 plus $20 shipping, plus $12 flush, plus $6 pipe tap, plus something else i forget! total cost was about $170 plus!

So with the Aquafx reefwerks order i got all that plus all replacement filters! So thats another $50 easy! i'm not laying a personal claim for these as i've yet to test! But here's what i'll do! I'll test the water from this system and if it reads near 0 TDS i'll be happy and report that! If it doesn't i'll return the system and buy the Spectrapure! Then if this system flies through filters, I'll report that!

From what I can tell most these RODI systems can be tweaked with different filters/media pretty easily! I may be wrong about that, but I'll pay a little more if i can ask for a phone call and get it!

Time will tell! I'll let ya know the initial results!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Have you used an Aquafx system?