RO/DI Advantages?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by epsilon, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Ok, so we all know that an RO/DI system is priceless for our reef tanks. Namely by helping combat algae by eliminating phosphates and other nasties we could introduce to our tanks using tap/unfiltered water.

My question is...

Does RO/DI water play a significant roll in Fish health as well?

I'm asking because i've been too cheap/broke to get a system and have gotten away using tap for a long time. My tank isn't looking to bad, all things considered, so i'm not to worried about it causing algae problems for me. I am however concerned that it would have a negative affect on any livestock i may wish to add past my current heartier then hell damsel stage.

I'd like to get:
    2 false percs
    Flame Angel
    Blue Hippo Tang or Powder Brown Tang
    Yellow Tang

Possabily a blenny or gobby or if i feel really brave(and suddenly find enough $ for the upkeep) a mandarin.

Eventually i do plan on getting a system... I'm just wondering if i might be able to get some more eye candy in my tank before doing so... My damsels are just getting kinda old ya know??? (which i will get rid of if i'm able to get new stuff...)

2. Click Here!

3. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

the big concern for fish health is the metals in the tap water copper, iron, etc. If you have copper piping in your house that is more of a concern. some places have better tap water than others, so it depends on your situation.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

So, if I don't have trace metals such as these I'd be ok.

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

test you tap water for nitrates,phos,dkh and use a tds meter. that will help in seeing what kinda tap water you have.

some grocery stores have a ro machine usally 30-40 cents a gallon.

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

+1 to Night-Rida.
    All tapwater has trace minerals in it. Use a TDS meter to see how much. Mine is actually pretty good at 104ppm. Many larger cities will test in the 300's depending on their treatment facilities.
    Water coming out of the RO/DI should read 0.

7. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Without ro/di, you don't know what chemical or trace element or heavy metal you are adding to your tank. You can test nitrate, phosphate or dkh but won't tell you the whole story.

Advantages
    - Safer water
    - Less algae problem
    - Less stress for fish
    - Fish lives longer
    - Less likely to cause diseases (especially like HLLE for tangs)
    - Need less CUC
    - Use less filter media (like carbon or phosban)
    - Less frequent water change (save on expensive salt)
    - Cheaper than store or LFS water in long run
    - No driving to LFS and available 27/4
    - No chemical treatment for chlorine (save on dechlorinator)

Cons?
    - Good ro/di unit can be expensive (still cheaper than buying ro/di water in long run)
    - Waste water (but you can find a way to reuse dirty water output from ro/di)
    - Need a place to install
    - Need to replace cartridges
    - Need tds meter (cheap but still $$)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

These are excellent statements and imo could not be put any simpler.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The advantage of RO/DI is consistency. You get the same water every time with a well maintained system.
    Tap water is inconsistent. It changes hour to hour or day to day depending on the sources, treatment techniques, operator on duty, storms that pass through, waterline break down the street, backflow from the factory or industrial facility across twon etc. You hav absolute ZERO control over what you are receiving and you never know from day to day. You can test until you are blue in the face but its only a snapshot in time, the quality changes next hour.
    Using tap water causes things to accumulate or become more concentrated in your tank. Many things are cumulative meaning no amount of water changes will remove them, ever. Metals like copper get into the rock and substrate and stay there. These build up to toxic levels over time.

For the small expense and the convienience of not having to travel, owning a good RO/DI is priceless. Fish deserve the same water if not bettr than corals, they are a higher being and deserve better treatment. Don't you try to discourage your dog from drinking out of a mud puddle or the toilet? Same with my fish.