Quieting the pump on my Tunze ATO?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Foremost I love me Tunze ATO.

However I hate this pump:
    [​IMG]

My tank is very quiet and when this pump kicks in (which is a lot on an open-top tank) - it sounds like a drill that I can hear from my bedroom. :p

I was thinking of perhaps insulating the pump in some Tupperware with a hole cut for the pump intake and wire. But I could wire another pump in there fairly easily if I knew of a pump that would work with this size hose and the controller. But I am unsure of how to go about this.

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative pump I could use or a way of dampening this one?

TIA,

matt

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Is this a new pump Matt? The few blogs I have read suggest that the whining noise is a bad pump and it should be replaced. Someone also suggested cleaning the pump inlet.(I doubt that will help) Or checking to make sure there is no air trapped inside the pump. Haven't come across an alternate pump yet.8)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks -The pump is a year old... I do check for air when I refill the bucket - it is definitely louder when there is air.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not real sure. Mine was pretty noisy... eventually it got worse and gave out. The new pump was much quieter. Don't know if you have a problem. Plus my stuff was in a closet not by my room so my idea of noisy is probably not the same as yours.

Using a different pump... well first you don't want one that uses the same size hose... that hose is metric and has to come from Tunze USA... so a pump that uses some standard stuff would be better.

For the electric part, it's DC so you would have to find something that would use the Tunze signal. You are on your own there. You would have to ask the more knowladgable twigits here for that one.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for info - I figured the pump swap would be harder than it sounds.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Mine is very loud when placed level with the bottom of the bucket. I decided to place the pump at an angle with only an edge resting on the bucket. Unless the bucket is dry, all I hear is a slight hum for a few seconds.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i dont have this ATO but im wondering if its the pump itself or the vibration between the pump housing and your bucket. What if you placed a thin sheet of foam under the pump? worth a try. Sorry I cant be of better help.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have this unit.

My reservoir is filled automagically - so I never have to worry about refill/air, etc.

I can say the pump sits on its side on the bottom of the reservoir which is on the floor.

I hear it hum for a few seconds but that's it.

I only hear it though when I'm in my fish room (which sits behind the tank).

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point - I've noted it is quieter when on the side, but I always try to squeeze the last drop out by having it vertical - perhaps I'll go back to that.

No worries - that usually is a good idea - but it is not the vibration that is loud here - it's the pump itself. Surprising for such a small pump too.

Jealous of the fish room :) - aye you and xmetal are on to something - at least in the short term. For the long term I will noodle some more. :p

matt