Questions on Setuping up the perfect filter system

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hasek1639, Mar 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Hello all i come here cause i am completely confused. Right now as my system stands i am running a MarineLand 350 HOB filter and a brand new SWC HOB bf-100 skimmer. I keep hearing HOB filters are garbage and should be replaced if I want a Full reef system. I am looking for ideas without breaking the bank to make my filter system as good as it can get for my 55gal tank. I done have much room under the tank as of right now as well.

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Most succesful reef systems don't have any mechanical filtration, none of mine do. Plenty of live rock, substrate and a sump/refugium is all you need with maybe a protein skimmer added on a larger system. The rock and sand provide room to grow beneficial bacteria for the notrogen cycle and the macroalgaes in a sump/refugium help with nitrate export.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No such thing as a perfect filter what I have found to be more truthful is a combination of several different method to be the best way to go and the filtration demands depends on animals wanting to be kept on the system with the filtration . What type tank and live stock will you be keeping ?

5. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

i want to have a wide variety of corals and not sure about how many fish many 6 or fish nothing huge but i am limited on space for filters or a sump with refugium. Coral wise i really love all want a clam or 2 some hard or soft corals.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I use a refugium and a sump with old rock I cycled really slow for 3 months to get them all alive I use a good Bullet skimmer and run a DSB in the fuge and a PO4 NO3 and carbon reactors with Ozone . This 90 I had to set up fast as the 180 blew out so I went bare bottom some would call a Berlin I guess ? I am setting up all the same equipment plus Bio ball and wet dry for my coral systems here that are being relocated from the shop to here at home so I can totally control them 24/7.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

10g or 20g sump/refugium. oversized in sump skimmer. dsb. chaeto/mangroves,etc. plenty of LR 75-100 lbs. good flow.