phosphate reactor media question ?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jkat21, Apr 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Hi all.. I have been using tlf (two little fishies) phoaphate reactor w/ tlf phosban media.its been up and running approx one month.the question is when its time to replace it whats a good/better media to replace it with or is this kind fine...open to any advice. thanks in advance....

2. Click Here!

3. MIKE SURTEES

MIKE SURTEES Plankton

jkat21 Hi, Normally you would test for phospate, and iff it is riseing obviosely the medium needs replaceing......Also there would be a colour varient in the medium too, iether will tell you when to change out.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

i was told and have followed that roughly every 2 months. also i keep the water going through it to a slow trickle. so as not to pulverize the small crystals. i would imagine a heavier flow would use up the phosban quicker.

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I have the same reactor and phosphates are zero. I was going to change the media when the phosphate readings start to rise. My test kit (Tropic Marin) gives a reading in 60 seconds.

6. Dakota569

Dakota569 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use RowaPhos or Kent"s product ( cant remember the name ) in my Two Little Fishes reactor and change it every two momths ... Phosphates are always 0 . Slow flow is key for longer contact time with the media . Pretty much the same as the others have said ... I have been told by a LFS that the phosban product can lower Alk , but I havent tried it ...

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I have been told by a LFS that the phosban product can lower Alk , but I havent tried it ...

you know its funny you say that Dakota...since I started using the phosban I noticed my alk was a little harder to raise..but I just thought i was crazy..hmmmm...gonna look into trying the rowaphos media. I used there sponges a while back and the seemed to work ok..thanks for the info..

8. Click Here!

9. Ricardo_Jorge

Ricardo_Jorge Astrea Snail

I replace every 2 months.

Hug

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Any Iron Oxide media can lower alk. It's not just Phosban.

11. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

I use Seachem PhosGuard product in my TLF, change about every 2 months or less with good water params, color change in media indicates replacement time, I've had great results. Product needs to be rinsed in filter sock or measuring cup before adding. I follow package directions for amount to use.

12. Ricardo_Jorge

Ricardo_Jorge Astrea Snail

Hi, acemow

what color this media gets?

Hug