Not disapointed anymore. Apex with Pinpoint PH

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by pjracer, Jun 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I am more disappointed with the equipment I bought.

A couple of days ago i ordered a Apex lite aqua controller and a JBJ Wave maker with oscillator. Well throughout the week i received them and today I finally got to hook them up. to start off with I'm not impressed with the oscillator that is supposed to toggle my wave makers. 5 min into setup it quit working. i have it set to toggle every 10 seconds and it would get stuck and just stay on one pump. I cant be upset with marine depot because i called them and they answered and they told me to send it back.

So now i go to set up my new Apex Lite. Man its nice. I like the web feature also like the fact that it was easy to set up and configure. But them came the Calibrating the PH probe. IT WONT CALIBRATE!!!! Its a pinpoint PH probe. I bought the extra calibration solution packets. I did like it said. i calibrated the low first with 7,0 fluid. the manual warns that it is normal for the calibration number not to come up to 7,0 so when it settled i said OK and went on to the 10.0 calibration fluid. dame thing. doesn't come up to the 10.0 range but again the manual tells you its normal for it to do this. i hit OK. and it says calibration failed. I tried the process at least 4 more times.

Very frustrating to spend alot of money on something to have it not work.

So now i have to call them again on Monday and ship things back and wait longer.

Again, I use MD for everything i buy and customer sat was great. I'm just disappointed that my products aren't working.

pjracer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Not sure but I think you cannot use a pinpoint probe. Read or seen something on this. Could be wrong.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

For pH probes, they seem to be generally hit or miss. My tank is at a pH of about 6.5 right now if mine is to be believed lmao. That was after about 10 hours total of time trying to calibrate it, with 3 different sets of solutions, and different methods.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is unfortunate, but it seems you are upset with Neptune Systems(the manufacturer) rather than Marine Depot(the "messenger").

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

That really stinks, pjracer :(
    But, IMHO you should change your title because it sort of implies that you are upset with Marine Depot itself, and not its products.

7. Trebor

Trebor Bristle Worm

+1 Can't use a pinpoint, Good reefing to ya!!

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i had the same problem. watch out the pin point probe can also cause the apex'es operating system to become corrupt, if this happens you will have to re-download the system into the apex. return that probe! aquacave sells the apex ph probes, once you get the correct probe all will be solved.

im amazed at how so many companys are saying a ph probe is a ph probe they are all the same... not true.

here is the thread where i wrote about the same problem your having http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/apex-lite-controller-opinions-108872.html

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  10. pjracer

Heres my problem. their are several websites that that sell the Apex controller with a free pinpoing ph probe. I buy everything from marine depot mainly and they price matched tb aquatics. So if alot of people sell it do they not know it dosent work?

I apriciate everyones feedback.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i purchased my Apex from __________, because of the free probe. after the problems it caused i contacted them, to let them know the probe didnt work with the apex and that maybe they should be giving a free apex ph probe. well they didnt seem to like what i said, told me all ph probes were the same that i probably received a bad one, didnt offer to replace it either. WELL i have a pin point ph monitor, and guess what the probe they sent calibrated and worked fine on there.
    give this a bit of thought....apex themselves told me they dont support using other brand probes on their controller, so these company's giving these free ph probes that aren't apex probes with the apex units, could be giving apex a reason to void your warranty. Good Thing Apex is a great company to deal with and fixed my corrupt apex system, which happened after trying to calibrate the pin point probe that would not calibrate on the apex.

i am finding most the company's and their employees dont know much about what they are selling.

12. pjracer

couldent agree more.