New 40 Gallon Breeder - filter questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by wswensonjr, Jun 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wswensonjr

wswensonjr Astrea Snail

Ok so here is the deal i have had a 55 gallon tank.. Started back in July of 06 now i had to move back home. So no room for the 55 gallon so i started to think then i did a 10 gallon nano well its nice but i wanted something bigger. So i have decided to go with a 40 Gallon Breeder tank (pick-up tomorrow) I have a spot to fit perfect. Now I need to get ideas for a skimmer for it. Also any idea as to what size sump would be good? I already have a Aquafuge Refugium - RF12 that u can see that i have setup on the back of the 10 Gallon took it off the 55. So i am going to reuse that. The skimmer has seen better days as I bought it off of someone else already used, so since i have to real time line i have figured that if i plain things out and get all my equipment together then I can make a really nice tank. I choose the 40 Gallon breeder as I feel this give good depth and u can do more then just a brick wall with the L/R. Also any ideas whether to go with crushed coral or a sand bottom?

I am also building my own stand so as I start that I will post pictures and will do a short thread in the DIY section with details.

For anyone that lives in mass around the framingham area Tropic Isle Aquarium is a great place to look they have everything there(if they don't they will order it)

Also any ideas for lighting what i should go with will be doing a DIY canopy so looking to wire lighting in that.

Looking for all the experts out there to guide my way through this set-up.

Thanks
    Walter

Also i Know that everyone has there own likes and dislike. I am looking for that as well as i can read about everyones liking of a product or disliking that another product.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. jason12345

jason12345 Flamingo Tongue

tropic isle is a great lfs

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I'm going to do a 30 or 40 gallon breader within the next couple months.. I'm going to use my 150w mh K2 viper that I have plus another one and stagger my 24 watt pc's in between for the actinics....

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Tropic Isle was my favorite when I lived in Worcester MA. Lots of goodies but there prices were generally more than others. I was willing to pay a little extra at tropic isle knowing the quality and health of fish at the other stores was not always the best.