Need help setting up refugium sump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by fishcrazy, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Astrea Snail

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need help. I have a sump with bio balls and no matter what I did I could not get my nitrates down. I would like to start adding corals soon so I bought a berlin sump bs-2 and would like to set it up as a refugium except I don't know how to do it. I need some advice or picture on how to set this thing up, how to section off, what lighting to use, and what to put in it? This is the picture of it and it is also sold at marine depot. I have a 120 gallon tank with about 100 lbs of live rock..

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would get rid of the bio balls and add live rock rubble. This will help get the nitrates down. Looks like you have a good size sump that will give you a ton of room for adding skimmer and other items. good luck with the set up.

5. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Astrea Snail

Wow, thanks for the link. Is it better to have refugium on side of sump or in middle. Want to make sure I get this right the first time. Also what is the best to put in it and what lighting would be the best to use and watts?

6. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Astrea Snail

Thank you 10acrewoods....do I just take a large rock from aquarium and hit it with a hammer and add it where the bioballs are, is that what you mean by rock rubble? Sorry, don't really know much about sumps.