Mag 9.5 or Mag 7 for 75 Gallon

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Trueno22, Apr 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Trueno22

Trueno22 Flamingo Tongue

I currently have a mag 9.5 as a return pump. Was wondering if maybe downgrading to a mag 7 would benefit me since the mag 9.5 is well above the 10x turn over rate.

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

what size tank? Pretty sure you can run a smaller pump with same over flow. do you have a HOB overflow or a built in overflow?

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If you aren't cleaning water off the walls, or knocking down liverock with the flow, then more power to ya! Keep it as is. Unless you have a specific need, or reason to downgrade, I wouldn't even consider it.

The more turnover the better, as long as your corals don't look like a trenchcoat in a stiff wind.

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I run a 9.5 in a 58g wide open imo go bigger like a 1200

6. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

I run a 9.5 on my 65 gallon with a flow accelerator on the loc-line.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Oh yeah? Well I run a 5.4 liter Triton with electronic fuel injection! :)

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

ROFL just had a simular discussion with a co-worker today, was going off about his brand new rx8 -rs2 package and how badass it was, well today i happened to drive my mustang to work, so i was like, hm really can it go around a corner sideways bellowing white smoke from the rear tires? god i love my 5.0 ;)

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I disagree with this and this is why: Heavy flow is a good thing and I think we can all agree on that. Getting your flow from the return is a bad idea because you are running more water through the sump than the skimmer can process thus dumping nasty water back into the display. I also like to run my sumps low flow because I like to let the detriutus sp? settle there to vaccum. This works very well for me. I only have about 1000 gph on a 150 gallon system with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at 0.

11. Trueno22

Trueno22 Flamingo Tongue

This was exactly my rational. See I already have a MP40W to create flow in my tank. Don't need the return pump to do that. I am mostly concerned about dietrius and what the skimmer can pull out.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm a low flow through sump guy. I think alot of people make a mistake when they decide to rush every bit of water they can by their skimmer. Just not a good call. Now if you have a commercial type skimmer that will do 4000 gph I would say go for it but not with the standard hobby skimmer

1 person likes this.