Koralia Mod for Wavemaker Pro?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by goldylamont, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. goldylamont

goldylamont Astrea Snail

Hi, has anyone successfully mod-ed Koralia powerheads for use with the Red Sea Wavemaker Pro? I understand that this isn't supported by the manufacturer and that without modifying Koralia's they will wear out soon and start/stop very loudly. Mainly I'm just going off of this review from MarineDepot.com where a guy swears that using mod-ed Koralias with the Wavemaker is the best and quietest solution ever:

>>>
    GREAT PRODUCT by ROGER TISDALE
    Experience Level: Intermediate
    Posted on 5/1/2008 from FLORENCE, SC UNITED STATES
    Comments: IF YOU COUPLE THIS WITH THE KORALIA POWERHEADS, YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST FLOW/CURRENT COMBO YOU CAN BUY. I HAVE HAD THEM ALL! I HAVE WASTED K'S BEFORE ARRIVING AT THIS COMBO. COMBINED W/ T-5'S, THE LPS,SPS, ZO'S, LEATHERS, FISH & OVERALL REEF IS BETTER THAN EVER. PLEASE SEE MY REVIEW OF KORALIA'S FOR MODIFICATION TO POWERHEADS TO MAKE A TOTALLY SILENT/EFFICIENT WAVE EETUP. THE SOFT-START FEATURE/FEEDING FEATURE ARE OUTSTANDING!
    Yes, I would recommend this product to my friends.
    <<<<
    Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wave Maker

I can't find this guy's other review but I remember reading something that you can use air line tubing on the propeller so that it doesn't jump around when starting up so no wear and tear and no loudness. Anyone have experience with this?

thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

I searched yahoo for a koralia mod and didn't find any but found this thread at thereeftank.com forums:
    Fair warning, I hooked my 2 Koralia 3's up to my Wavemaster Pro to see what would happen. I know the clicking on startup comes from the impeller being pushed forward before it settles back into place, so I placed a very small piece of airline tubing there to stop that (thanks Fat Tony ). They were silent at startup so I thought I had it licked. The problem is that when the Wavemaster kicks on it has various timings and sometimes doesn't stay on long at all. What I found is that while most of the time the pumps would push the water out the way they are supposed to, every once in a while they would start in reverse and actually be pulling water into them instead. I am glad I didn't just say everything is good and walk away and leave them running like that.

I now have a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro for sale that is in excellent condition, all of the outlets and the lights work, if anyone is interested.

Everything else I found said you would shorten the lifespan on the koralias with the wavemaker pro because the constant stopping and starting causes them to start up in reverse sometimes.I have noticed this sometimes when I unplug and plug them back up. I think they are coming or have already came out with koralias that start up softer that can be used with their own controller but I think they are alot more expensive.hth.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The problem with running the Koralia's on a wave maker is not the noise/clicking. The shafts that are on the Koralia's are meant to be in constant motion. Running them on a wave maker in time will destroy these shafts.
    The mod that people are talking about does NOT work long term. All it does is quiet it down (but like I said, that is not the REAL problem in the first place). Unless you can have some sort of custom fabrication shop make you some sort of shafts (BIG $$$), you can't run them successfully on a wave maker.

5. goldylamont

goldylamont Astrea Snail

great info guys. i guess i won't be using my koralia on a wavemaker. i will start saving to get a real koralia wavemaker with the correct powerheads. thanks for the tip