How powerful of a pump needed?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by yoshikuni, Mar 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

I'm planning on setting up a 20G display + 10G sump in my room. The location of where the return pump in the sump would sit approx 50inches below the water level of the display tank, and I understand that vertical distance will decrease a pumps final GPH, so how powerful of a pump would be needed in this setup?

I've actually been looking at a couple of pumps around the 500GPH mark. The MAGDrive 500 looks promising but I've heard that it runs hot and adds more heat to the water, would it be significant enough to affect the system?

Also, since this setup would be in my bedroom where I sleep, I was hoping for a pump that would run quite quiet.

Does anyone have any good suggestions from experience of what pump would be best for my situation?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Get a Quiet One 3000, they are whisper quiet, its rated at 780gph and about 540 at 4' head pressure but you also have to take into account any turns in your return line. Each 90 degree turn decreases flow by about 15% I believe if I remeber correctly.

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I have the exact same setup. 20 gal tank 10 gal sum. I tried a mag 7 (700 gph). Way to much, i had to slow it down with a ball valve so much that the pump over heated. IMO stick with something around the 500 gph that way you will get a nice flow and you shouldnt have any problems with over heating.

Marc.

5. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

i agree with m_lacom99 here. 700GPH (~500GPH at return) is way too much...that's 50x turnover in your sump!!! I will get something that is between 5x - 10x turnover of you display and add PH to finish off.

6. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

So a Mag 5 (500gph) would be good enough and won't produce too much excess heat?

What about noise? RAVEN suggested "Quiet One 3000" but at 700gph, thats way too much for my setup.

Does the Mag 5 make much noise? I have to take this into consideration because I will be sleeping in the same room that this setup will be in, and too much noise will cause insomnia and insanity. ;D

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Mag's can be noisy but ive only delt with mags 7 and 9 i dont know about the lower gph ones. As for the heat, what is your lighting? Cause depending on your lighting you just might not need a heater. But i doupt a mag 5 will produce so much heat as to over heat your tank. Maybe someone else can shine in and give you better advice.

Marc.