Help!  Newbie wet/dry sump flow rate?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Guest, Jul 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My roommate just aquired a mostly complete salt/reef setup. However, we are having some problems with the wet/dry filter setup.
    I found the similar setup online, here AquaClear Pro Series w/pre filter Our problem is that once we get the suction going, we oversflow the lower filter setup. It seems the return (sump?) pump just can't keep up. I was wondering what kind of flow rate we should need to keep up?
    This is in a 75 gallon tank. Any other info you need?

Thanks, and sorry for the lack of info, I'm just posting because he can't today, and we need to get this going.

Murdock

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Re: Help!  Newbie wet/dry sump flow rate?

Hi Murcock!

The simplest thing to try IMO would be to adjust your overflow box. You don't want more water flowing into it that can fit if your power goes out.

Adjust the overflow box (the part that is inside the tank has screws you can loosen, and raise the part inside the tank) until no more water flows in than the sump can hold without overflowing. Then try turning off the pump just to check it does not overflow. Hopefully this will balance your pump and overflow as well. If not, I guess you will need a bigger pump and I defer to anyone else here on that....:)

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

welcome Murdock and feel free to become a member as there is no cost.

I clicked on "more information" link in the Drs. Foster & Smith lweb page and it gives the GPH for each model. You can call them and see what they recommend as a return pump to match the GPH for your model.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Re: Help!  Newbie wet/dry sump flow rate?

Oh yeah, don't forget to re-tighten the screws when done ;D

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, thanks for the super fast replies guys, and the good info.

I actually went to the Aquaclear site, they recommend a CAP 2200 pump, at 800GPH, the Dr. Fosters link says about 300GPH so we'll see if we can get a new impeller for our Powerhead 802 and get it to work.

Thanks again.

Murdock