Heater question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jhawkor, May 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Hello, I just bought a 75 gallon tank/stand setup off craigslist and it comes with three 75 watt heaters. Will two or three 75 watt heaters be enough to heat a 75 gallon tank?

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

I would probably run one 300w heater in a 75. That's with Jager Heaters though. What brand are yours?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Id go 2 x 150 watts or 1 x 200 watts and 1 x 100

my reason is simply

heaters are prone to failure - its a low reject ratio for sure, but thats no consolation if you end up with a dodgy one

the odds on 2 heaters failing are ( I have no idea, but I would not bet money on it)

so if you have 2 heaters and 1 fails - you still have one that works and should be ok until you get a new one

Steve

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

Durrr! Can't believe I didn't think of that! [​IMG]

Good point. I always keep a spare in the aquarium supply closet.

6. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Ebo Jager Aquarium Heater, 75 Watt

It comes with two of those and one different brand of 75 watt heater that I can't find the brand name. Are those decent heaters?

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

Jagers are great heaters. I've got one in the tank and one in the box as a back up.

I don't think that adding up the wattage works with small heaters. I'm not quite sure on that though. I would think that it's not as energy efficient as running two larger heaters that would be on a few minutes at a time instead of being constantly on like the smaller heaters would be. It might also wear down the smaller heaters.

8. Click Here!

9. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Hmmm...do you think I could just run these for a while then upgrade after the cycle is complete?

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

If there is nothing in the tank yet, it would be ok to experiment and see if the heaters can do the job till you're ready to get some new ones and add livestock.

11. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Also it came with a uv sterilizer. Could someone please tell me what this is used for?

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Kills all the parasites, fungi, bad bacteria, etc in the water that flows through it. Definitely a good thing. I wouldn't use it while cycling though.