Flow through filter ???????????

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Hevgotdat4u, Jun 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hevgotdat4u

Hevgotdat4u Fire Worm

My first saltwater tank was 10 yrs ago 150 gal. dolemite bedding dead catpaw coral for decor an Amiracle wet/dry with built in skimmers mag 7 return pump tried all types of fish could only keep triggers nitrate always 100+ the rule was 3-5 turnovers per hour 18 months ago I hear 10+ turnovers so I try again must admitt I see a big difference but I get mixed emotions from different LFS when i say I have a Mag 18 on my 125 some say thats fine some say smaller mag through filter but power heads in tank which is true/best.

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I do about 5-10x through the sump per hour. I haven't heard of any good reasons besides trying to keep detritus suspended as to why you would have much more than that. Just wasted electricity IMO.

4. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

Nice thread Hevgotdat4u.;) I'll be checking on this thread often.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

All systems and exp's are all different. What works for Joe doesnt work for Mo. You have to find what works for your system. I also have a Magdrive 18(open fully) on a 90 DT and a 55g refugium/sump combo and if most of you would see the flow I have running through the refugium, I think that your eyes would pop out of your heads. I dont know for sure, but if I had to guess, I would say that theres between 900-1200 GPH flow through the refugium. For some/most ppl, thats too much, but its working for me. My Nh3, No2, No3 and Po4 are all at zero. As I said before, you have to find what will work for you. Good luck. Luna

1 person likes this.
  6. Hevgotdat4u

Hevgotdat4u Fire Worm

Lunatik if possible I would like to see how your return is plumbed and placed mainly the output of the Mag 18 curious has to how you stopped it from blowing everything away.

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Luna’s spot on – what works for one might not work for another. I use a Danner HY-Drive pushing 4800 GPH on my 180 (after head pressure I am turning half that) in the tank I run 3 MP40’s pushing 3000 gph each on wav cycles….and I feel I could still add another.

As for your past history – nitrates at 100+ ? Once nitrates accumulate there is no where for them to go and they just build to toxic levels and kill your fish. Water changes with RO/DI water (not tap water) will reduce then nitrates – but the natural way is to give your tank what mother nature designed – plants, in a refugium your macro’s grow by eating nitrates.

My refugium is 20 gallons and I turn that once an hour – in the refugium I have a deep sand bed and a plethora of macro’s. Luna posted that he blasts his fuge and it works well for him – my gut instinct is he grows cheato that loves high flow….but I wouldn’t be the least surprised if I learned he grew other macro’s the still thrive in the flow. Keep us posted on what you set up and how its doing !!

Edit -- you know, I should have added. with 300 pounds of live rock in my 180 I don't need a sump. My refugium is enough - I use a 55 gallon tank as a sump just so I have more water and plenty of space for skimmers, media etc.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Heres a couple of pics I dug up.;D
    If you double click on the pics, you'll get an awesome close up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Luna - ok, so you are a deep sandbed growing mangroves and a ball of cheato...unless there was something I couldn't see - sure, I can see you slamming your flow through there without issue. Nice neat job ! What's the noise level on the mag drive?

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

There isnt any noise on the Magdrive 18. The only "noise" that you can hear when standing infront of my tank is the water that is coming down through the overflow. Sounds like a water-fall effect, which is like most tanks. When I first installed that new sump/refug, I installed a Magdrive 24. That model made the pvc rattle which in turn made a bothering noise. So I reinstalled the 18 and life was good. When you buy a high vol Magdrive pump, it comes with a blk foam pad w/sticker that you place under the pump to avoid any kind of vibration. I tried everything to keep the 24 from making that rattling noise but to no avail. I guess it was just too much pressure. So in short, all I have in my refug is a 4"-5" deep mud base, a hugh ball of cheato and like 8-10 Mangroves.

Luna

12. Hevgotdat4u

Hevgotdat4u Fire Worm

Awesome Luna gonna try something like that myself.