Coralife turbo twist UV

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DoorBoy, Apr 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

Anyone have experience with these uv's good or not?

My friend has one and is trying to get rid of it for 50 bucks for a 36W. I was gonna buy it but i was told by a LFS that they burn through the sides after awhile of use.

This was also the LFS that told me that acclimating fish is a waste of time and that i should take my fish out of QT tank that had a Salinity of 1.01 when i was in hypo and throw my fish in my DT that was at 1.023 without even trying to acclimate.. LOL - so i tend not to believe the guy. Let me know your oppinions

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, that acclimation recommendation is absolutely insane!!!!!

Turbo Twists are nice units. I would recommend asking how old the bulb is. You might need to consider the replacement cost of the bulb when deciding if you want to do this or not. Also, make sure you follow the Manufacturer's recommendations on which pump to use. If it's too powerful, all you're giving everything is a suntan. ;)

4. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

well hmm.. i just did a bit more research on it.. he had a Fresh water planted tank that was a 55 gallon.. I have a 60 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

The 36w one says it is good up to 500 gallons so i am pretty sure he has the size wrong... and am pretty sure its probably a 9 w if the 9 w is good up to 125 gallons.

the bulb for that lamp then is around 15 dollars so i may just buy it, first im gonna look and see what size it is. Any experience with this UV?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Tons of experience. To avoid having to have a huge tall unit to get the proper dwell time, they basically force the water to continually swirl around the bulb to achieve the same result. I have never had one burn out the sides.

At the shop, I kept 2 around to be rented out by customers if they were having a phyto bloom or something and needed one temporarily.

1 person likes this.
  6. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

okay thanks inwall.. i will def get it then, cant wrong for the price. Thanks for the quickness and honest responses.. k+

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

The turbo twist is a good unit. I have the 9W on my 120g and I'm moving up to a 210g and I plan on using it. The replacement bulb I have I bought at Drs Foster and Smith which i'm putting in when I move the tank over. I will get an 18W when the new bulb dies. The 9W is 11" long so a quick observation should be all that's needed as these units get bigger as they move up.

8. Click Here!

9. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

Considering there is a quartz glass tube surrounding the light I don't see how it could ever burn through. I have a 36 W Aqua Medic on my 110 Gal located in the sump. I didn't hook it up inline because my Mag 12 would push the water through too fast so I hooked it up to a 400 GPH pump in my sump. I also have a 9 W on my 34 Gal. UV units make a noticeable difference.

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I've never gone without one on my 90. I think I have the 18 watt turbotwist and I've never had a phyto bloom, a parasitic problem, a bacterial problem, etc. It did, however, take me 2 hours to figure out how to set up.