Closed loop pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ZachB, Feb 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I'm looking for a pump that will push approximately 2600 gph at about 4 /5 feet. It would be driving a 4 way closed loop with flow diffusers on each return.

What would be a good, yet inexpensive pump for this application? I would like to split the returns so 2 would be on, 2 would be off with a SCWD.

Ideas? I don't want to spend $400 on a pump ::)

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Go to a department store like home depot. They sometimes have serviceable pumps.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Oh watch out, some of those pumps are not made for SW and have copper bushing in them that will wreck havoc on your tank. Just ask Omard. These are the ones I would chose from as they are low speed and quiet. Not much wattage draw for the gph they put out.
    ReeFlo Pumps

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Reeflo Dart 3600 gallon's at 0" head at 4" or 5" I am pretty sure its about 2800 or better. You can also put a valve on the outflow and turn it down if needed and it uses less electricity. Fairly quiet pump, or at least mine is, i am using it on a closed loop in a 75 gallon tank.

Also I would recommend you save your money and deep six the SCWD's and get an Oceans Motions, SCWD's lock up constantly, honestly, mine SUCKS!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I'm using one of the Reef flow pumps coupled with the Ocean Motions valve with the same insert your asking for.... but this is much more than $400... then again, it is built for exactly this purpose...

7. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

My two cents is to buy a less powerful pump and do a smaller diameter tubing. The smaller tubing will allow for a higher water feed with less power needed. Basic pipe flow engineering.

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Or maybe do 3/4" tubing / bulkheads and do the 2500 GPH with flow accelerators? This would be for a 75g tank by the way.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You always want to oversize your pump because you loose gph with every bent of pipe. You can also build a manifold and run reactors off it too. Kind of hard to get more gph out of a undersized pump.

12. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

gazo, you have had problems with your SCWD? anyone else?
    zach let me know what works for you, this is a situation that i am going to have to work out as well. i saw a couple of pumps on DR. Fosters that i was lookin at using