closed loop

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reeferdude, Mar 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

will a closed loop work on a tank that is not drilled for a closed loop?
    plumbing new tank and thought if i can make it work, i wouldn't have to buy any power heads to put inside for flow. i got a 75 with one corner overflow (reef ready) it says that it will flow 750 gph. was going to run intake for reeflow dart from sump and run return over the top of tank, through a manifold, but to get enough flow i'm scared it will overflow my tanks internal overflow. any ideas?
    if i hang a pipe over the top with a intake screen and prime it to get it going, would it start on it's own if the power goes out? or do you think it will loose it's prime and suck in air?
    has anybody ever run this kind of set-up?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yes, you could simply make a pvc pipe hanging an inch or so into the water on the top of the back of your tank and route it down to below the stand into a pump and out back to the tank again over the back panel and face the outlet down, horizontal or wherever you want to direct the flow.

5. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Here is a like to an example of how to run a closed loop with out drilling your tank. One thing you want to make sure is to have the cap on top to prime it.

Melevsreef.com - Closed Loop

Hope it helps

6. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

cool !!!! thanks yaw. really eased my mind now about that one, especially after watching the video of it actually working on the melevsreef link. now i can relax a bit while i wait for the supplies to arrive before i start the build project.