Cleaning Equipment

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ndtechie05, Apr 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

I broke down my tank a few years ago and will be ready to start it up again soon. The pumps and accessories have been sitting in a buck in the basement. Could I use plain rubbing alcohol to clean the equipment and then rinse it off in water?

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I'd start with vinegar to break down the corailline and hard water deposits.

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

white vinegar is the way to go! completely safe after you rinse

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

+1 for vinegar. You can mix it up with a lot of water and it will still do it's job. Get everything wet and wait a few minutes. Calcified things will soften up and come right off. For more stubborn spots maybe use straight vinegar. Sometimes pumps just ain't the same after being stored for a long time I would soak them overnight or a few hours before you try to plug them in. Make sure the vinegar gets down into the volute and impeller.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Undiluted distilled white vinegar is a powerful acidic cleaner and 100% safe to use. When you dilute it you raise the pH so it takes longer and does not clean as well. Another advantage of using it undiluted is you can strain the big chunks and floaties out, pour it back in the gallon jug ($2.00-$2.50 at any grocery) and use it over and over until it loses its strength.

My only caution with vinegar is do not leave rubber parts like suction cups, O-Rings and shaft bushings in too long or it will attact them. An hour or two is all it takes to clean really nasty stuff off and have pumps and parts look like new.