Chiller design help please

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Laurainhouston, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Laurainhouston

Laurainhouston Plankton

Hello,
    Newbie here. I have a 55 gallon tank with two filters on it. One is an Eheim 2217 canister filter and the other is something hanging off the side.I just bought a Coral life 1/10 hp chiller and wans told by the saltwater shop that I couldn't hook it up to the Eheim because the Eheim wouldn't be powerful enough to push the water through. So he also sold me a Sicce 2.0 multifunction pump to use instead... the problem I am coming up with is that the chiller says I need to pump filtered water through the chiller first...

help me please!!!

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

The water you will be pushing through it will be your tank water...which should be considered filtered water...that is if you are running an RO/DI system or getting from the store as either RO or RO/DI..both would be considered filtered....imo

...If what your saying by "first"...Then just run some tank water through it into a waste container...maybe that's what they mean. :)

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Why do you need a chiller?

Are you running hot? Metal Halides for lights? ?

Houston? Ah yes, I know that little 'ol town well!

5. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

what the shop meant by running filtered water is that when you put the pump in the sump or where ever you want to put the chiller pump is that you put some kind of filter to the pumps water input so not to suck any debris that would end up collecting inside your chiller.
    that's how i do mine but still end up with some debris inside so it is a good practice that when you do major maintenance on your tank to disconnect the chiller and flush it to remove the gunk and debris that accumulated in there over time.
    detritus will always accumulate inside the chiller no matter what you do to prevent them.

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

that makes sense....but wouldn't that be always...not just "first" ...I'm confused about this persons post..and beings there is no more response from the sender..its of little regard to me further. : )