Air valve adjustment on Aquac EV-180

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by djbonney138, Mar 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

So, I have had my Aquac EV-180 for going on 4 weeks now. I have the water level adjusted at the top of the box as instructed. I leave the air valve all the way open and the bubbles seem to stay real dry and just collect in the top of the collection cup. I barely get more than 2 Tablespoons of skimmate in 24 hours. When I slowly close the airvalve the results aren't that much different, the bubbles seem to start smaller but end about the same. Any suggestions on where I should adjust the air valve? Just barely open, barely closed or in the middle? My bioload is small so I don't expect too much, but I have hair algae, turf algae, caulerpa and halimeda going nuts in my main tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

how old is your tank, sounds like 2 things happening...
    1. skimmer is still breaking in
    2. tank is still cycling?

otherwise it sounds like it's working, be patient and leave it alone a bit longer :p

4. djbonney138

My tank is going on 4 yrs. old. The skimmer is broken in I just am having a hard time knowing exactly how to "fine tune" it. The manual says once you have the water level right you can use the air valve to adjust the skimmate the way you want. I just don't know how to get the skimmer just right and thought someone may have some advice.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

ah, ok, well I tend to just leave mine wide open. It skimms slightly wet and fills to the drain tube every 2 or 3 days. I have a very light bioload as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. djbonney138

Maybe I should leave it wide open. I have not even come close to making it to the drain tube even in 4 or 5 days. Thanks for the info.

1 person likes this.