surface skimming...

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by sid101, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sid101

sid101 Astrea Snail

My local fish shop wont do the teeth shape for my surface skimming overflow so i need to either make my overflow from acrylic and glue that to my tank or...

What would you think of making 2 separate wholes to the back glass of my tank, one at the right place so half my bulkhead would be off the water and the other one right in the midle so i could both do surface skimming to my tank and catch free floating particles in the water with the one in the middle so have both mechanical (sump sock) and surface skimming systems for my water intake, i would control the flow making 2 separate plumbings to my sump and putting a valve in the midle bulkhead.

My english is not perfect so i apologize for it, i dont know if i make myself clear in my idea if you dont understand please help me and i will try to explain better.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

4. sid101

sid101 Astrea Snail

I have my dremel and i could use it to acrylic but to glass? i was thinking of sealing one quart of a turn of pvc pipe to my corner and dremel the teeth to that with the dremel. would save space i think.

5. 1RESTLESSNATIVE

1RESTLESSNATIVE Astrea Snail

Mine is a flat piece if acrylic placed diagonal in the corner but i would think a 1/4 rip cut of say maybe 6 inch diameter or greater pvc might work in that case. Google the "durso standpipe" design and try to make that first as to allow enough room for its use. dont glue it bacause you may have to tweak it once water starts flowing as it is related to the teeth height you are wanting to make. That thing rocks!!!

6. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

You can cut glass with the dremel but need to buy the mini diamond wheels and cut SLOOOOOWWWWW.