Equipment Room, or not?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grubbsj, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I'm considering moving up from my 75g display tank to a 120g display tank.

Then behind the scenes, (the system sits against an outside, side wall of the living room) building a 5’ x 4’ equipment room to house all of the “stuff” that has creped out from under the tank and is now behind the sofa and dining room table.

I have 30 amps of 220v AC power available (room to grow as I’m using only 15-20 amps of 120v AC today) as well as hot & cold water and a drain line.

I believe that I would house the RO/DI unit, DI water storage, medic tank, 75g divided in half, the 30g refug/sump, skimmer, Ca reactor, etc...

I’d like to explore 3 questions.

First, who has their equipment separate from your tank in a closet or room, and can you share pics of your setup. What do you like best? What would you change?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have all my equipment in a fish room and love the extra room that I have. You can check out the video that is posted before this one or click on my build thread in my signature.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All of our stuff in in the basemenet about 30 ft over from the tank in the living room Ballast pump sump fuge reactors everything is in the basement in the boiler room , That way I have more room under the tank for more unused Junk :)

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I wish I could have an equipment room, that would make life so much easier. Luna

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

IMO, my tank is only 4 months old and I'm already planning for my 125... I think it would be awesome to have my display, use my 55 for a sump, wet/dry, fuge and put it as a seperate display a little bit away from the 125, then have a qt somewhere in the same room as another display. Ideally I would have a fish room behind the scenes also. That way I can keep tabs on things a little easier and also it seems as though everyone that comes to the house asks what all goes into a tank like this and why everyone says it is so difficult, this way I could show them easily what all goes into it, plus I like the look of the wet/dry, sump, fuge, I think they are just as interesting as a display sometimes!

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Not to mention your brand new R/O unit hanging from the wall into 2 55 gal drums. lol Luna

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Otty, I have watched the video. Very nice tour. I watched your post as you built that system. It is looking good.

How big is that equipment room? Do you store your DI water there or elsewhere?.

11. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Here is the layout for a 6x6 room addition to the side of the house and a "to scale" layout of the kitchen, dining & living rooms.

Image of 120g peninsula layout - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our current 75g tank sets along the wall between the love seat and the dining room table.

We wanted to limit the size of the equipment room to be 4'x6'. However, I have not been able to get all of the equipment to fit in the smaller room.

Your thoughts....???

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hey Joe where you going with that skimmer in your hand :) Looks like a nice layout buddy E/M or P/M me you you need any help with the lay out Otty will be happy to help I'm sure .. When he gets back home and settled in lots of planning needed for a peninsula system.. Just saw this ans wanted to say looks like really good plan .. I don't post much here much any longer unless I see its a friend looking for answers or help , Ideas :) Might consider putting the sump under the sink . Not much need to hold water really I'd mount the filter system in there waste to sink and or get a water unit that has no waste water and set a auto fill system in place ?