Bournemouth reef: Europe's first artificial reef

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Bournemouth reef: Europe's first artificial reef
    This looks like a win all around. The fish get a new habitat, the beach will not erode as fast and surfers get waves twice as big. Well done!

We first wrote about the Bournemouth reef, Europe's first artificial reef, this past summer. Our focus--and the focus of other media sources--was on the structure's potential to turn the coast of Bournemouth, U.K. into a surfer's paradise by doubling the size of waves coming onto shore. But the local environment will benefit from the $5-million, two-and-a-half-acre reef just as much as the surfing industry.

ASR Marine Consultants: Leader in design of artificial reefs, surf reefs & environmental impact assesments. - Home - Why the Bournemouth Reef Will Make Fish, Beach Bums, and Surfers Happy 

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

That's cool. It's always nice to see people trying to bring reefs back. I'm not sure if you're a Dirty Jobs fan but there was an episode where he was building "reef hotels". They were basically concrete/sand/empty shell dome and tree like structures that offered homes for marine life and places for coral to grow.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. ASRltd

ASRltd Plankton

Hi Matt & 3reef.com users,

My name is Alicia Schwartz and I work with the ASR, ltd team the company responsible for the newly completed Bournemouth Reef. I wanted to outreach directly to this forum and see if I could provide any further clarity on Bournemouth Reef or artificial reefs in general.

Aside from the surfing and environmental benefits Matt mentioned above of the Bournemouth Reef the actual town of Bournemouth is benefiting as well. An impartial third party research firm conducted a study and found that the marketing and PR value of the Reef in Boscombe, even before its completion, is estimated to be greater than $10M pounds which is over 3X the total cost of the reef. The thriving restaurants – some of which are named after the reef like “Urban Reef” and “Reef Encounter” – and increased retail activity and hotel accommodations (even during a recessionary period) also are positive indicators of economic stimulus.

If you have any questions please feel free to directly contact us at: [email protected] or [email protected]. We encourage an open dialogue on the benefits and myths of multi-purpose reefs. (Artificial reefs)

Sincerely,

Alicia Schwartz
    Marketing , ASR, ltd

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is fantastic news Alicia. Thanks for reaching out. I will have to go there whenever I can make my way out that way again. Will you be at the summit (link above) in Florida?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Welcome to 3 reef Alicia

sounds like a win, win situation for everyone involved
    Steve

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    How deep will the reef be? I snorkel in the south of the UK (mostly in dorset, devon and cornwall) during the summer months, probably worth a snorkel in a few years time to see what life it has attracted??